Help, Making A Friends Wedding Cake

Decorating By septfairy Updated 6 May 2010 , 1:38pm by HannahLass

septfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
septfairy Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 18

Hello

I am septfairy and I am new to this forum and was really hoping someone would be able to help me.

I am making a friends wedding cake for her. 3 tiers, 2 sponge and 1 chocolate (chocolate in middle) Now i need to do it in 14", 10" and 6" cakes as she has a topper that has 2 parts husband on top kneeling down and bride on tier below reaching up (now her dress is rather large so that is why i need so much space!)

Now I will make them tomorrow, ice them wednesday and assemble them at the wedding venue on saturday. I will use dowels and am placing them on boards and icing the boards as well.

Also does any one have a recipe for a 14" madeira cake.

How does that sound??? This is the first proper cake I have made since I did my cake decorating eve classes over a year ago and I am a little worried. Recently I have had cakes that have been over done on the out side and not cooked in the middle and they all seem to rise alot in the middle so there is a big difference inbetween middle and outside.

Does any one have any tips. I am starting to worry about this cake rather alot (a bit late I know)

Any way - thanks for any help you may be able to give me

xx

17 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 18

I would use a flower nail or baking strips for the 14" cake. That will help it to cook evenly. Actually you shoud probably do that with the 10 inch as well. I don't have a receipe for the cake you're wanting to make. Maybe do a google search for one? If the wedding is Saturday you'd better get to baking icon_wink.gif

I use wide (bubble tea) straws instead of dowels. Wooden dowels displace cake as the straws fill up with cake and I believe that makes it more secure. If you're assembling the cake at the venue then this method should be fine. Otherwise I'd suggest the SPS system.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:01am
post #3 of 18

Wow, you are really brave to have a wedding cake be your first cake since class! Make sure you take a picture to show us.

You can level the cake by taking off the elevated portion in the middle of the cake. Wilton sells a great tool for this. You don't want to leave the layers with a bug bump in the middle.

Good luck! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:22am
post #4 of 18

I dont particularly like that topper, the bride is quite tall so even if you make your cakes 4" high her hand still sticks out to high and it looks a bit weird. I finally placed my bride on the bottom tier and him on the top. So you might not need so much space for her dress as you think.

http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=20058
I use this recipe from Nigella

HTH

septfairy Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 18

thank you for your replys, well the first one is out of the oven, and seems to be cooked which is a start.

However the tins I have hired are loose bottom tins and I have lined them but it seems that alot of the fat has leaked out the bottom (I had a big puddle in the bottom tray) I really hope that doesn't make a big difference. It also seemed to take less time than I thought it would.

2nd one has just gone in.

Thankyou cakechick123 I will have a play with where to put the bride. I am now dusting blue roses lilac! now that seems to be taking a while, (i run out of time to make them so had to buy them) this wedding seems to have come round far to quickly...

thanks again

x

KayMc Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 18

You're probably too busy to post, but I've been thinking about you. How is the cake going? Hoping you'll post pictures.

septfairy Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 18

hi thanks

well they are all cooked and iced. They are not the prettyist i have ever seen a little bumpy round the side (prob as i iced straight onto sponge cake) and some of the icing is a little cracked at the top (really cant remember how to prevent it) but other than that from a distance they look great, lets just hope no one looks to closely. (however my kitchen still looks like an icing factory exploded!) and so do i for that matter! icon_wink.gif

my neighbour came round and she is vvv happy with them so at least that is one thing.

Random question - do i need to put the dowels in now or is it ok to leave them until saturday?

thanks for the thought I really appriciate it.

x

septfairy Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 18

lets see if these pics work

http://s901.photobucket.com/albums/ac219/septfairy/?action=view¤t=a686ec3d.jpg&newest=1 small one

http://s901.photobucket.com/albums/ac219/septfairy/?action=view¤t=aa660674.jpg&newest=1 medium one

http://s901.photobucket.com/albums/ac219/septfairy/?action=view¤t=ee9cf016.jpg&newest=1 very bad pic of large one

as i said the sides are a little lumpy - i managed to take the middle one from its bad side - the other looks a little better.

nothing compared to some of the standards on here no doubt, but i did eve class a year and a half ago and these are the first cakes since then, so not to bad. (and they didn't have marzipam on either)

x

Majie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Majie Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 18

Wow, you are brave to make it last minute. Happy you are nearly done and looking forward to seeing your cake on CC

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:10pm
post #10 of 18

your cakes look great! This may be a stupid question, but are the tiers 4" tall? Maybe it's the pic, but they look short, and I would hate for you to run out of cake if there isn't enough servings!

septfairy Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 18

No. They are all about 2 1/2 in. I think ours are normally a bit littler than yours. Thankfully they only need to feed 60 so hopefully there should be plenty.

Fingers crossed the stacking goes ok on Saturday

Thanks x

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:11pm
post #12 of 18

oh! I didn't know that! They do look very nice, and I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the finished cake!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:25pm
post #13 of 18

looking forward to seeing the cake finished..
Good Luck!
icon_smile.gif Jodi

KayMc Posted 6 May 2010 , 4:17am
post #14 of 18

Hey, thanks for posting! They're looking great so far! Can't wait to see how you decorate them!!!

heidemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidemarie Posted 6 May 2010 , 10:29am
post #15 of 18

I don't have a Recipe for a 14in. Madeira Cake but I have one for a 12in. Madeira. Let me know if you want it.

KayMc Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:09pm
post #16 of 18

What is a madeira cake?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:57pm
post #17 of 18

I think your cakes look fine. Since you only have to feed 60 the shorter tiers should be okay. Be sure to post a photo of the finished cake thumbs_up.gif

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:38pm
post #18 of 18

I'd describe Madeira as a dense vanilla cake. like pound cake I think. I make my tiers 4 inches or more usually (i'm in the uk too) purely because I learnt what I know from here so maybe I think it's the norm. I use deep pans though. Good look for the weekend I'm sure it will look great and they will love it. Hanxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%