Help Finding A Vintage Orange Cake Recipe

Baking By tavyheather Updated 3 May 2010 , 10:52pm by GL79

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 15

Went to another prospective restaurant to ask about renting kitchen space...she said she could do it but wouldn't b/c of a previous experience with a caterer. Then she started talking about this wonderful orange cake with orange or pineapple frosting her aunt made and took it with her when she died...

It almost seemed like she would reconsider if I made her this cake! Or at least buy from me when I find another certified kitchen..

Anyway I was thinking of using Rose's orange glow chiffon cake..thoughts? Anyone else have any good recommendations?

TYIA!

14 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 15

Sounds like a pig cake. Do a google search and lots of recipes will come up.

tavyheather Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 15

what what WHAT?! LOL, thanks Bob...I'll try!

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 15

Here, I found the recipe I like:

Thank you for the many insightful emails and comments I've gotten about this cake. Several people wrote to tell me that they know this as an orange cake. Danenew32 called it a Florida Sunshine Cake. The majority of the emails dealt with my incorrect supposition that "Pig-Pickin'" had to do with how people acted when they ate the cake. While most agreed that yes, that's how one could act while eating this very moist cake, but the name actually refers to a southern barbecue or a.k.a. a Pig Pickin'. Enjoy reading more about "Pig Pickin's from Terri B. and Tammy W. at the bottom of this recipe.
Prep Time: 25 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Ingredients:

1- 18 ounce yellow cake mix
11-ounce can mandarin oranges with juice
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
9-ounce carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
8-ounce can crushed pineapple, with juice
3.4 ounce (4-servings) box instant vanilla pudding
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans. In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, mandarin oranges, mandarin orange juice, eggs and oil. Beat for 2 minutes with electric mixer. Pour into pans and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes, turn out of pans and finish cooling on wire racks.
In a mixing bowl, combine whipped topping, pineapple, juice from can and vanilla pudding mix.

Frost between layers and on top of cake.

About Pig Pickin's

Again, thanks to all of you, most especially Terri and Tammy, for taking the time to write to me about Pig Pickin's. I don't know about you, but after reading all this about barbecue I think I need to do a little pig pickin' myself. Derrick Riches' About.com Barbecue and Grilling1 site is the perfect place to find some tasty recipes to get us started.
From Terri B. - "Carroll, I do hope that a "gazillion" Southerners (especially North Carolinians) have contacted you to set you right on the name of this cake... A Pig Pickin is a ritual in the South -- particularly in the Carolinas and Georgia whereby a whole pig is roasted over wood coals for hours until done, when the meat falls off the bones and folks just gather round and "pick off the meat", thus it is called a "pig pickin" , which is in "northern talk" a pig roast. We take our barbeque as seriously as Texans --- knowing everything about a "pig pickin" is almost a religion to us, and this cake became synomous with the event because it was the perfect ending to "a mess" of barbeque, hush puppies, corn sticks, coleslaw and all the fixins. Banana Pudding is also acceptable as the grand finale, but I believe this cake became the hit of the Pig Pickin and Homecoming at Church when it made its appearance back in the '70's."

From Tammy W. - "Carol, I have subscribed to your email group for probably two years now. I have enjoyed reading your thoughts and trying your recipes. It's such a great group!... But I did want to alert you to something. You may in fact know it, but I wanted to talk to you about how pig picking cake got it's name. I'm not sure where you live, but I'm from the south. Food here is worth more than money. In the south we have this thing called a "Pig Picking" where you have this HUGE cooker (actually a big old barrel cut in half and made into a grill) and you take an entire pig and roast it. That's really where the south's BBQ comes from, in particular BBQ from the Carolinas. Other parts of the south don't exactly do this, and even across North Carolina in the mountains they would NEVER do anything as redneck as what we do in the east. Once the pig is cooked (and it's really good) they open up the top of the barrel/grill and chop it up. Then there's a huge outdoor feast where there are tables lined up for people to sit and another long table full of every kind of food you can imagine. You take your plate and walk over to the pig and two men (it's always at least two men standing there guarding the pig like he's going to get up and walk away) put a pile of meat on your plate. Pig picking cake gets its name from this feast. It's a common cake to take to such an event, as is punchbowl cake, which is also made with a cake mix. It's more like a southern version of English trifle, as you layer the cake and cherry pie filling and cool whip and nuts and pineapple and some other good stuff all together. So while your blurb about the cake getting it's name because act like pigs when they eat it is true- because you eat and eat and eat at a pig picking (You gain weight during that one meal)- I did want you to know the true meaning behind the name... Thanks again for your work on the website. I look forward to reading your emails each week on the topic! Keep up the good work!"

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 15

I don't remember where I got the recipe, someplace off the internet. I copied the entire article because it has some of the history on it too.

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 15

Here's some pig cake recipes from the CC recipes forum: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/?s=pig+cake

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 15

Gee bob, you posted all that while I was looking for a recipe?!
------
Are you a scratch baker, or a mix baker?
Most seem to have a cake mix base.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-00,mandarin_orange_cake,FF.html
Here's a scratch recipe...
http://busycooks.about.com/od/cakerecipes/r/mandarinorange.htm

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

Then she started talking about this wonderful orange cake with orange or pineapple frosting her aunt made and took it with her when she died...

It almost seemed like she would reconsider if I made her this cake! Or at least buy from me when I find another certified kitchen..

Anyway I was thinking of using Rose's orange glow chiffon cake..thoughts? Anyone else have any good recommendations?

TYIA!

The pig cake is an orange cake with a pineapple frosting. It's delicious AND vintage -- it's been an old family favorite in the South for many generations.

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Gee bob, you posted all that while I was looking for a recipe?!
------

Cut and paste baby, cut and paste! icon_lol.gif

tavyheather Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 15

LOL Bob, I'm blissfully overwhelmed!!!

PP, I'm a scratch-baker at heart...but if the recipe she's thinking of is a boxed, I better try both!

Thanks so very much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and I found that recipe after u suggested I search...oh crud I just deleted it...found it searching "pig pickin recipe"..on google, one of the first links...

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 15

It's funny, I make cakes but I HATE to eat cake. There are only two cakes on the planet I will eat -- my scratch chocolate cake and the pig cake. I can tell you from personal experience the pig cake is refreshing and delicious!! icon_biggrin.gif

Aren't you glad you asked?? icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

tavyheather Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:27pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

It's funny, I make cakes but I HATE to eat cake. There are only two cakes on the planet I will eat -- my scratch chocolate cake and the pig cake. I can tell you from personal experience the pig cake is refreshing and delicious!! icon_biggrin.gif

Aren't you glad you asked?? icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

umm..YES!! I had no idea this would bring about such discussion and excitement...so glad u knew exactly what she was talking about!!! I can't WAIT to surprise her with it!!

so Bob, when u say this is one of the only 2 cakes you'll eat (I'm more of a pie person, myself icon_wink.gif do u use the recipe u posted?

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:32pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

so Bob, when u say this is one of the only 2 cakes you'll eat (I'm more of a pie person, myself icon_wink.gif do u use the recipe u posted?

Yes. I never heard of it before I spent a few days with a friend of mine who owns a chicken farm in Ohio and she had a huge bar-b-que one night with lots of people and TONS of food and she gave a very reluctant me a slice of cake -- I had a small piece just to appease her and was very startled to find it was DELICIOUS!! So good in fact I had TWO slices!! (Now anyone that knows me will tell you how remarkable that in and of itself is!) icon_lol.gif So I ask for the recipe, she gives it to me and I make it a couple times. Then I lost the recipe icon_cry.gif and in an internet search I found this one, which is nearly identical to hers. So it's now the one I use exclusively. (You know, you are making me SERIOUSLY hungry for one now!!) If you'll excuse me, I have a pig cake to make! icon_lol.gif

tavyheather Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:36pm
post #14 of 15

LOL, sorry for your impending calorie-fest! I am dying to try it!!!!!!

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:52pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks for posting the recipe, now I have one for my sister's babyshower

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%