Can I Pour Hot Sugar On This?

Sugar Work By THECAKEPLACE Updated 5 May 2010 , 10:10pm by Occther

THECAKEPLACE Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 10

Am I able to pour hot sugar on any type of silicone? I have no idea what I can pour hot sugar onto. Help please!

9 replies
JGMB Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 10

I've never done it, but I've seen them do it hundreds of times on cooking shows. So, I'd say yes, you can pour it into silicone molds, onto a silpat, etc.

Occther Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 10

I have made my own molds from "Make a Mold" kit that I purchased from Micheal's and poured in hot sugar with not problems.

Musings9 Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 10

I've only seen it done on Silpat. So...not sure.

dalis4joe Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 10

silicone is meant to withstand high temp's... so yes u can.... u can even use it as a splash guard on your oven... if it can do that... poured sugar is nothing.... go ahead... have fun....

Now... I got some gem molds that I purchased to make sugar gems.... but THOSE look like regular plastic.... so that I am not sure if I can pour sugar on.... but it's sold for that purpose.. so can I? or maybe they sell it to make gumpaste gems? wow I am confused.... wait a sec... lemme ask an expert I know... brb

cakesrock Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:01am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

silicone is meant to withstand high temp's... so yes u can.... u can even use it as a splash guard on your oven... if it can do that... poured sugar is nothing.... go ahead... have fun....

Now... I got some gem molds that I purchased to make sugar gems.... but THOSE look like regular plastic.... so that I am not sure if I can pour sugar on.... but it's sold for that purpose.. so can I? or maybe they sell it to make gumpaste gems? wow I am confused.... wait a sec... lemme ask an expert I know... brb

They do look like regular plastic, but as long as they are not see-through you can use them. I just made my first jewels with them. They are meant for the isomalt or hard candy gems that heat to 350 degrees. Have fun!

THECAKEPLACE Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

I have made my own molds from "Make a Mold" kit that I purchased from Micheal's and poured in hot sugar with not problems.

I went to michaels yesterday and could not find any mold kits what was the name of the one you got?

cakesrock Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by THECAKEPLACE

Quote:
Quote:

I went to michaels yesterday and could not find any mold kits what was the name of the one you got?

Yes, would like to know that myself. I hav not seen them there...

Occther Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 10

It's called "Amazing Mold Putty." Still have some left. Box states "Food Grade - FDA Compliant." I purchased it in the clay making section probably about two years ago. I think it was around $20 and I used a 40% off coupon. I used it to make a pill bottle mold to put on top of a nurse's graduation cake. Then melted butterscotch candies and poured it hot into the mold. Also, used the putty to make a two part mold of a blackberry for another cake. Haven't needed it lately so I haven't looked for it at Michael's. Something makes me think that it might not be available any more.

Occther Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 10

Just found their email address - www.amazingmoldputty.com According to their website, it is sold at both Michaels' and Hobby Lobby. Great stuff - inexpensive and easy to use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%