How Does Everyone Cut Thier Dowel Rods Plastic Or Wood?

Decorating By tripleD Updated 4 May 2010 , 9:59am by JaimeAnn

tripleD Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 8

I think I'm loosing my mind. I am having a very hard time getting my dowels even. I end up with a crooked cake. I am open to any sugestions.

7 replies
tiggy2 Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 8

The best thing to cut wooden dowels with (besides a saw) is a pair of ratcheting pruners. Other pruners will not cut evenly.

jlh Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 8

Do ratcheting pruners give you the nice, circular cut (maintaining the original width of the dowel)? I've never heard of these? I use a dedicated pair of wire cutters, and they pinch in the ends of my dowel, which can leave a tilted look, if I don't go out in the garage and sand them down. Total hassle. If you tell me those ratcheting pruners maintain the shape of the towel, I'm headed to Home Depot!! Thanks.

PinkZiab Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 8

I use an exacto handsaw and mitre box:

tiggy2 Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 8

Yes, they maintain the shape of the dowel (if you get good ones). Best way to find out is to get a dowel at home depot and try them out right in the store icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 8

Of course I use SPS, so there's no cutting involved. One of the many reasons I love SPS!

peg818 Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 8

I use a ratcheting pair of pvc pipe cutters they cut through 1/4 inch dowels like butter.

That exacto hack saw looks very interesting, never seen one before.

JaimeAnn Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:59am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

I use a ratcheting pair of pvc pipe cutters they cut through 1/4 inch dowels like butter.

That exacto hack saw looks very interesting, never seen one before.

I use ratcheting PVC cutters too... The cut evenly and easily...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%