Hdi Store Sugar Beer Bottles?

Sugar Work By lecrn Updated 4 May 2010 , 12:43pm by mullett

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making some sugar bottles ahead of time (I've got 3 made & a few to go) and noticed that they have gotten sticky. I've placed them seperately on parchment paper in 9 x 13 pans. Is there any way to prevent the stickiness or to get rid of it?
Also, I have to put the bottles in the cake before it's picked up. Do I need to put a dowel in the cake & place the bottle over it, or can I just push it into the cake?
Thx!

7 replies
mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 8

I found that you can't just push the bottles in the cake. Air backs up in the bottle and it pushed it back up and almost pushed it out of my cake. Even when I took a circle of cake out and made a hole. You might try a small hole just to cover the bottom and a clear straw, or several taped together to make it stronger. I sprayed my bottles lightly with veg. oil. and put them in a zip loc baggie. I found that when I left them out just sitting on a tray...if it rained they became cloudy. Hope this helps.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 8

Silica gel packets will keep them dry and they won't become sticky.

lecrn Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullett

I found that you can't just push the bottles in the cake. Air backs up in the bottle and it pushed it back up and almost pushed it out of my cake. Even when I took a circle of cake out and made a hole. You might try a small hole just to cover the bottom and a clear straw, or several taped together to make it stronger. I sprayed my bottles lightly with veg. oil. and put them in a zip loc baggie. I found that when I left them out just sitting on a tray...if it rained they became cloudy. Hope this helps.

I don't quite understand what you're talking about when the placement of the bottles.
I'm afraid to put the bottles in a plastic bag.
I sprayed the bottles with veg spray, but I bet leaving them open to air is causing the problem.

lecrn Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Silica gel packets will keep them dry and they won't become sticky.

Where do you get these? I've seen them in packing like in purses & shoe boxes.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:26am
post #6 of 8

Do a google search and you'll find them

lecrn Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:55am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Do a google search and you'll find them

Thanks. I thought of that, but I don't have time to order it online.
I've just sprayed the bottles with cooking spray, put them in parchment cradles, & into a closed cake carrier.

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 8

I cut a hole the size of the bottom of the bottle..only about an inch deep. Just enough to cover the bottom edge of the bottle. The straws work like dowels but you really don't see the clear straws.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%