Website

Decorating By janeoxo Updated 6 May 2010 , 8:28pm by janeoxo

janeoxo Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 22

Hi Guys

It's that usual request, new website done and now in need of you guys to peruse and let me know what you think. Is it thumbs_up.gif or thumbsdown.gif

www.papilloncakes.com

Thanks

Jane

21 replies
iamcakin Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 22

Hi Jane, and congrats on getting your site up.

The gallery is not loading for me, it may be my temperamental pc, tho. icon_sad.gif

cakes47 Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 22

Hi ~ It's a thumb's up from here. Nice job! I really like how you have it set up
so one may ''turn pages''. Good luck!!!

janeoxo Posted 3 May 2010 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcakin

The gallery is not loading for me, it may be my temperamental pc, tho. icon_sad.gif

May be your pc as cakes47 has managed to look. Thanks for taking a look anyway

myslady Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 22

I can't get the gallery to load either

cakes47 Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 22

Keep trying. It should load. It's really neat how she shows her creations book style and
you get to ''turn the page''!!!

metria Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 22

i was a little surprised to click on the "Cake Flavours" tab and see a picture of chickens. could you make an additional tab on your page as a "FAQ" or "About Us" and put the egg information there instead? that way my brain doesn't leap to the immediate conclusion of chicken-flavored cake!

PTBUGZY1 Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 22

janeoxo, I liked your website but the gallery didn't load for me. The chickens are very original.
Nice to see Northamptonshire represented, (born and raised in Kettering myself) Great site.

metria Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 22

i can't load the gallery either. the swf seems to quit out and not do anything.

CWR41 Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:03pm
post #10 of 22

Jane:

It's thumbs_up.gif . Are you also asking for proofreading help to know what errors can be corrected? (Yes, I'm offering, if you're interested.)

11cupcakes Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 22

It looks ok, I think you should ask someone to check your spelling and I couldn't load your gallery. But I like some ideas, good luck!

rosiecast Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:34pm
post #12 of 22

Can't load the gallery either.

metria Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:36pm
post #13 of 22

i went back to try again and the gallery finally worked for me. <shrug>

janeoxo Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:23am
post #14 of 22

With regards to proof reading then yes that's fine let me know what you have found but......don't forget us Brits spell things differently so it might be wrong for you but right for us but any input would be great.

CWR41 Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:32am
post #15 of 22

Yes, Im aware of British Flavours and Enquiry, so Im not including those. Proofreading = not only spelling, but punctuation, grammar, spacing, etc.

Home
high quality wedding and celebration cakes
high-quality wedding and celebration cakes

Whatever your occasion we can provide
Whatever your occasion, we can provide

a cake, cupcakes or both made to your
a cake, cupcakes, or both made to your

If you cannot find exactly whatyou
If you cannot find exactly what you

are looking for please
are looking for, please

Short notice orders can sometimes be catered for.
Short-notice orders can sometimes be catered. (If you were to replace catered with another word, you wouldnt say accepted for, placed for, accommodated for, or granted for... it doesnt need the extra word at the end.)

A massive thank you for...
A massive thank you for...

my Dads birthday
my dads birthday

cake, it looked gorgeous and tasted even better!
cake. It looked gorgeous, and tasted even better! (or)
cakeit looked gorgeous, and tasted even better!

Cake Flavours
The main flavours are listed below but (possibly two spaces between main and flavours.)
The main flavours are listed below, but

Short notice orders can sometimes be catered for.
Short notice orders can sometimes be catered. (same as above)

from scratch and are not
from scratch, and are not

Only the freshest quality ingredients
Only the freshest, quality ingredients

from home kept free range chickens.
from home-kept, free-range chickens.

either jam, buttercream or both
either jam or buttercream, or both
(keyword either refers to choice #1 or #2 ((add comma)), then choice #3.)

lemon curd, lemon buttercream or both
lemon curd, lemon buttercream, or both
(no keyword either, so the commas are added after each choice on the list of three.)

Wheat free options
Wheat-free options

The best fruit cake the family have ever tasted
The best fruitcake the family has ever tasted.

Cupcake Flavours
All cupcakes made from
All cupcakes are made from

home kept free range chickens.
home-kept, free-range chickens.

Wheat free, vegan, organic and fairtrade
Wheat-free, vegan, organic, and fairtrade

Thank you for Bens cake he loved it.
Thank you for Bens cake. He loved it. (or)
Thank you for Bens cakehe loved it.

it tasted
it tasted.

Prices
Delivery at 25p per mile round trip mileage.
Delivery at 25p per mile, round-trip mileage (No period. It should be consistentuse periods at the end of all or none.) (or)
Delivery at 25p per mile (round-trip mileage)
(25p? As in British pence; penny?)

25% deposit required on booking
25% deposit required upon booking, (or)
25% deposit required at booking,

Absolutely beautiful cake, the topper is being cherished
Absolutely beautiful cake. The topper is being cherished. (or)
Absolutely beautiful cakethe topper is being cherished.

Gallery
see what you are looking for then just ask.
see what you are looking for, then just ask.

If it can be done then we
If it can be done, then we

A big thank you for the cake, it was fantastic, everyone
A big thank you for the cake. It was fantastic, and everyone (or)
A big thank you for the cakeit was fantastic. Everyone (or)
A big thank you for the cakeit was fantastic, and everyone

the babies
the babies.

(photo #9 of 27)
Holly XmasCake
Holly Christmas Cake (offensive to those who would prefer to see Christ in Christmas.)

Contact Us
To discuss your requirements telephone
To discuss your requirement, telephone

Alternatively use
Alternatively, use (Id personally put all of this sentence in parentheses to de-emphasize it because if it was essential, it would have been included within the list above.)

form below
form below:

The cake was awesome
The cake was awesome.

thumbs_up.gif

Cakechick123 Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:18am
post #16 of 22

the gallery wouldnt load for me either (tried 3X)

that is one thing I would def investigate, its all very well to have this gallery that sings and dances icon_smile.gif but if I was a customer I would move on to the next company if the page wouldnt load 1st time.

heidemarie Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:16pm
post #17 of 22

Very nice Website, love the Gallery!

janeoxo Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:52pm
post #18 of 22

CWR41 wow what a lot of work you put in there my friend. Thank you, very much appreciated.

And thanks to everyone else who has taken the time out to look and post a comment.

Mixed bag on the old gallery, some seem to get it some don't so. So any more comments on that would be greatly appreciated. Don't want to have to change it just yet as the ones that can access it, love it.

CWR41 Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:42pm
post #19 of 22

Awwww, I have a new friend! Thanks!
You are very welcome. Im glad I could help.

I wish I knew why your gallery page wont load for some people. If this helps, Ill tell you that I opened the page (and it loaded) on five different computers with five different operating systems with no problem. Perhaps their computers are missing a program that enables the page to load.

I noticed you added two more tabs. Here are a few more suggestions for the new pages:
Wedding
At Papillon Cakes we
At Papillon Cakes, we

your flowers, dress or theme
your flowers, dress, or theme

Our Chickens
A few shots of our chickens
Here are a few shots of our chickens (or)
...a few shots of our chickens (using the ellipsis to denote that words are missing from the sentence.)

of our sponge cakes. (A period is used here, but no periods on the rest of the page. For consistency, the rule is to put a period after all or none. Although none is the preferred rule for bullets whether fragments or whole sentences, all is the preferred rule on a couple mixed sentences.)

Calvin with his ladies Bella and Ella
Calvin with his ladies, Bella and Ella.

Calvin, Bella, Ella, Minnie and Millie
Calvin, Bella, Ella, Minnie, and Millie.

Gilda
Gilda.

Flossy Grace and Vera Wang
Flossy Grace and Vera Wang.

And finally our new babies LC (Little Chicken) and LV (Little Voice)
And finally, our new babies, LC (Little Chicken) and LV (Little Voice).

Note: Regarding commas; among many other reasons, they are also to be used in a sentence where two complete thoughts are separated by but, or, yet, so, for, and, or nor. (boysfan or b-o-y-s-f-a-n words.)
Example in compound sentence: She took her letter to the Post Office, and she mailed it.
Vs. She took her letter to the Post Office and mailed it. (Im certain that I dont get this one right all the time!)

Note: Regarding comma and; to be used when three or more items are listed in a series. Place a comma before the and preceding the last item. (Although this is optional today, it should be added for business and legal reasons.)
As an example, think of it this way: If you were disarming a device and the instructions say to cut the orange, yellow, black and red wires, it means there are three wires to cut because black and red would most likely refer to one wire that is a combination of both colors. If the instructions said to cut the orange, yellow, black, and red wires, it means there are four wires.

In another example: If my last will and testament states that my estate is to be divided equally between the children of my marriage, John, Mary and Ruth, John would receive 50%, and Mary and Ruth would share 50%, not only because the extra comma was omitted, but also because of the keyword between meaning two. If this wasnt my intended wish, I should have written ...divided equally amongst the children of the marriage, John, Mary, and Ruth, so that they all receive one third of my estate. (Okay, maybe this is a poor example, but it conveys the importance of using comma and for business and legal reasons!)

I KNOW! I need to get a life (or get some real work done!).

janeoxo Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:36am
post #20 of 22

Hey thanks for the feedback re the gallery, that is good to know. The majority seem to be able to load it. I have asked others to take a look that are not part of cake central and they have not had a problem. So on that point, the gallery will stay in the format that it is.

Thanks again to everyone that took time out to take a peek and thanks yet again to CWR41.

dchockeyguy Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:39pm
post #21 of 22

I'm in the process of having a website designed, so this kind of thing is currently near and dear to my heart. Here are some suggestions I have:

You might want to think about a different font. The font you're using is nice, but it doesn't come across as "Professional." But that might not be what you're looking for, so you could esily disregard this icon_smile.gif

I also don't think I really like the aternating color text. I'm a bigger fan of having all the text one color when possible, as it is a little more cohesive. I'd also think about the color of your highlight a little bit. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something seems "off" about it.

I was able to get the gallery to load, but at first it seemed like it wouldn't. However, once it came up, your cakes are lovely. I did wonder if you really wanted the file name at the bottom of the picture though. IS there a way you can replace that with descriptive text instead?

janeoxo Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:28pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

I'm in the process of having a website designed, so this kind of thing is currently near and dear to my heart. Here are some suggestions I have:

You might want to think about a different font. The font you're using is nice, but it doesn't come across as "Professional." But that might not be what you're looking for, so you could esily disregard this icon_smile.gif

I also don't think I really like the aternating color text. I'm a bigger fan of having all the text one color when possible, as it is a little more cohesive. I'd also think about the color of your highlight a little bit. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something seems "off" about it.

I was able to get the gallery to load, but at first it seemed like it wouldn't. However, once it came up, your cakes are lovely. I did wonder if you really wanted the file name at the bottom of the picture though. IS there a way you can replace that with descriptive text instead?

I have chosen that font as that is what is used on my business stationary to keep it corporate as is the colouring.

I'm glad the gallery works for you but unfortunately there is no way of removing the file name.

Really pleased as only been "live" for 3 days and have had my first enquiry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%