Coloring Sugar Pearls?

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 3 May 2010 , 10:17pm by auntiecake

tootie0809 Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 9

I have been looking everywhere for lime green sugar pearls and can only find them in a dark green. I thought I had read somewhere that you can color them yourself, so I tried doing this this past weekend with powdered color and with gel color with absolutely no luck. I even tried airbrushing them in a bowl. Not a good idea and did not work at all, but was funny to watch me chase those little suckers around the bowl while blowing them away with my airbrush! LOL! Anyway, does anyone have any idea if coloring a sugar pearl to a custom color is possible and if so, how to do it?

8 replies
lisamenz Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 9

This is a great question icon_rolleyes.gif I have done the same thing many times and never got the results I cared for. Now I don't know if this will work, but it does work beautifully on white gumpaset flowers. Take a few and try first., take some volka, put your food coloring in the volka that you desire and take a small strainer to put pearls in and dunk them in the mix for a few seconds only and put them on a paper towel to dry. It makes my gumpaste flowers colors gorgeous. Only a few seconds at a time. They have to set and dry to set the color. Don't laugh, it may just work, I am going to do a test sample myselve., It won't work on deep colors like red, black or purple, mostly light colors, pastels, or light neon colors. Hope this helps, or at least you can get a good laugh..... icon_rolleyes.gif

tootie0809 Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 9

I'm up for any suggestions, so I will definitely give this a try. If it works, great! If not, I was thinking I could always resort to hand painting each one after I apply them to the cake. I'll let you know if your method works though. Thanks so much for the idea! icon_smile.gif

IDOCAKES2 Posted 3 May 2010 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 9

Just noticed that Wilton has lime green, pink and white pearls at Michaels. Also, I color them all the time with luster dust. Just put them into a small jar add color and a drop of Vodka and shake. Instant color! Works well on Gumpaste and Fondant.

Elaine

auntiecake Posted 3 May 2010 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 9

I just put them in a jar with lustre dust and shake. no vodka It works great for me! I usually use super pearl.

auntiecake Posted 3 May 2010 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 9

I just put them in a jar with lustre dust and shake. no vodka It works great for me! I usually use super pearl.

DALIG Posted 3 May 2010 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 9

if you have an air brush you can put a few in a container and start airbrushing them while you move them around so that they can be colored evenly.

tootie0809 Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 9

Great ideas everyone! I have a Michael's right around the corner from me. I will have to run over and check to see if they have any lime green ones. If not, I will try these methods you've all suggested. Thank you!!

auntiecake Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 9

They have lime green lustre dust here at Michaels (Wilton) if you have the white pearls or are making them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%