Frosting With Whipped Cream

Decorating By floral1210 Updated 10 May 2010 , 1:15pm by floral1210

floral1210 Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 14

I am just a "baker for the friends", and a friend asked me to do her grandson's First Communion Cake. However, he wishes to have Whipped Cream frosting. I have only ever worked with buttercream, and was planning to do a FBCT for the top of the cake. Can I pipe borders with whipped cream if I add stabilizer to it? Can I still use a FBCT on the whipped cream? Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcome. And please remember...my skills are self-taught and very limited! LOL

13 replies
floral1210 Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 14

Any thoughts or ideas?

cake-angel Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 14

stabilized whipped cream is still very soft and would squish under the weight of a buttercream transfer. You would do better to use chocolate or candy melts to make a transfer. You can pipe simple decorations with whipped cream like borders, outlines and stars.

floral1210 Posted 3 May 2010 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks for the info. Does anyone have any ideas for decorating it? I was going to try to do a stained glass church window on the cake. Would I be able to tint the whipped cream itself to use for that, or will that water it down a bit too much? I do use the Americolor gels.

de_montsoreau Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 14

You can stabilize the whipped cream with gelatine and it should then stand a FBCT after it has been chilled enough. But is is still tricky, as the gelatine will not leave you much time to smooth out the cream. Also, of course, the finish will not be very smooth. HTH

floral1210 Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 14

Ok..so I have this cake due tomorrow, and still can't decide what to do. I have a FBCT made, but am not sure if I should use it. However, I know that whipped cream doesn't work too well for piping pictures, so I am nervous about how to decorate this cake. To top it off, it is to be 1/2 custard filling, and 1/2 oreo cookie filling! Letting an 8 year-old choose that was insane... Also, am I better off using a WC stabilizer product from the store, or using gelatine powder? Does it make a difference? I have to do this cake tonight after work, and am totally stressed. HELP!!

floral1210 Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 14

PLEASE...ANYONE! I am truly freaking out about this...

Jeana77 Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 14

Most of my cakes are frosted using whipped cream. I just use thawed Cool Whip straight out of the container. It needs to be kept cool before during and after frosting the cake. I usually stand right next to the fridge while decorating and and place the unused portion back in the fridge while it's not being used. You need to work fairly quickly. It can be smoothed with a warm, dry spatula. As for decorations, I have used buttercream directly on the cool whip or use fondant cutouts also. Do not try to put anything on the sides of the cake...the weight of it can't be supported by the cool whip. Take a look at my photos for examples. If you have any questions, let me know.

VNatividad Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:32pm
post #9 of 14

I've used pastry pride for filling. A friend of mine uses it to ice her cakes. I find mine at Smart and Final. I think it's also the same as Bettercream.
She has colored using wilton gel colors. She only pipes borders on those cakes. She adds texture to the cake with a cake comb? I thinks that's what it's called. Once it dries it does not melt, but they are refrigerated until delivered to stiffen it up. As far as your FBCT, how about if you cut wax paper the same shape as your image and place it on your cake. Lay the FBCT on top. I've never worked with either but hope it helps! Good luck, breathe, you'll figure it out.

floral1210 Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 14

Thanksfor the tips, but I am using heavy cream, which I am whipping, not anything synthetic like Cool Whip or Bettercreme. Does that change any of the advice?

LuvLyrics Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:00pm
post #11 of 14

Floral ... I am so sorry, but since this is for a friend, and they really want WC, maybe you should've been the one giving them the choices of fillings etc... I know it's hard, but I am learning to say no, most of the time people don't know how tricky dacorating a cake can be... make what you feel comfortable doing, and when working with WC simple is better... good luck CC friend!

VNatividad Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 14

The whipped heavy cream should stiffen up when refrigerated but I'm not sure how long that will last after it's taken out. Test it, ice one of your pans, refrigerate, and take out to see how long it lasts.

minnasmom Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:55pm
post #13 of 14

I use whipped cream frosting (from heavy cream) on nearly all my cakes. I just whip it with the required confectioner's sugar and as it is near to being fully whipped, I add a small amount of jello instant white chocolate pudding to it. That stabilizes the whipped cream and it won't bleed. I have had leftover pieces in the fridge for 3-5 days without any bleeding.

But I use the regular buttercream to do all my decorations as the whip cream separates when it goes through the tips. Hope this helps.

floral1210 Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:15pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks everyone for your help. I found that I basically worried over nothing...whipped cream is relatively easy to work with. The FBCT that I made sat easily on the cake and remained intact. The only problem is that whipped cream, I find, isn't as "forgiving" as BC. If you accidentally get a ding in it, you can't "stretch" the remainder to cover it. Once it's gone, it's gone! LOL At any rate, the cake turned out well, even with both fillings and everything else I agonized over. I will post a photo...Thanks again!
PS...I did use BC for the borders. I used a whipped BC, and it seemed to hold up well. Now, I just need to hear from my friend to confirm that the cake held up all afternoon for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%