Whipped Cream Icing Questions

Baking By 2sweetcookies Updated 4 May 2010 , 12:46pm by 2sweetcookies

2sweetcookies Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 3

I have to make whipped cream type icing, (not just a regular sweetened cream and gelatin). I am only used to making a basic shortening based icing. I did some searching and found the 7 minute frosting and also one that uses powdered sugar and boiled water. Do any of these recipes need to be refridgerated and how long can the iced cake be left at room temperature. I also read that humidity may be an issue, with the weather being unknown this may be an issue. Does anyone have a recipe or know about these?
Thanks so much

2 replies
saapena Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:53am
post #2 of 3

I made the whipped cream buttercream from the recipes sections and it said you did not have to refrigerate the icing and it could be left on the counter for up to three months (I think that is what it said). Anyways, the icing was light and delicious. I have read on other threads that some are subbing out half the shortening for butter; it is supposed to make to more rich. I will be trying this the next time I make the icing. This is a lightly crusting buttercream so I am not sure how humidity would effect that.

2sweetcookies Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you, I have read stories about people having trouble with the icing turning runny or "deflating", I guess it will be a trial and error thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%