Can I Freeze Fresh Straberry & Whip Cream Filled Cake?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 6 May 2010 , 8:32pm by prterrell

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 4

I have a few cakes to make this weekend. All of them are with whipped cream and fresh strawberries filling. all are covered in buttercream except for one in fondont. How far ahead can I make them before they go bad. I just want a head start on these cakes. Thanks

PS what about bananas & strawberries in vanilla custard filling too?

3 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 4

Baking the cakes ahead and freezing is fine. I haven't done it but think freezing a whipped cream/fresh strawberries filling will be a problem. I would think the bananas would turn brown and should be done last. Again, I am just guessing but trying to help since you have no other replies.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 4

If you use a product like cool whip freezing won't be an issue... but if you make your own, even if you stablize it with gelatin, is risky & won't have the same consistancy after thawing..

The strawberries are not a problem but the bananas a bad idea, they need to be on the cake fresh.

I would use pastry cream & stablize it w/gelatin if I was to freeze, not custard.

Freezing stabilized mousse is ok too :0)
But be sure on all to defrost in the fridge not at room temp.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 4

Fresh fruit fillings can NEVER be frozen. Freezing causes ice crystals to form, rupturing the cell walls of the fruit, resulting in leaky, mushy fruit when thawed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%