Home Bakery In Ontario? Hamilton To St. Catharines?

Business By King-Girlz Updated 10 May 2011 , 5:36pm by wannabe_cake_maker

King-Girlz Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 7

Just wondering if anyone in between and including these areas could help me out with info regarding opening a cake business from my home? I have read alot on this site and it is ALOT to take in. Most info is from Toronto and I am not sure exactly where to start. I am sure each area is different with the regulations.
I can imagine there are quite a few "Ontario/Niagara" bakers out there and I would love to know the steps and please be truthful on how difficult or not difficult this is? I don't know if I should proceed? Seems like a lot of work for a few cakes a year......thinking, thinking.....
Thanks so much in advance!

6 replies
jadedlogic Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 7

I called the Niagara Health Department and they said that you have to have a separate kitchen. However, I am waiting to hear back from them again as I have a few questions....I want to know why schools can have bake sales etc when all of that comes from peoples kitchens yet we can't sell cakes (on a small scale) from home. Hopefully someone else has some info.

King-Girlz Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 7

Interesting...if that's the case then I can not go any further. Guess this is going to stay a hobby......
If you find out more please let me know.
Thanks so much.

jadedlogic Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 7

If you are in Stoney Creek and Hamilton area it might be different

wannabe_cake_maker Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 7

Just bumping up for new eyes. Is there anyone else on here from the Hamilton/Stoney Creek area that has a home based business?

wannabe_cake_maker Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 7

This is just an FYI for some in the Hamilton area. I received this email from a legal home baker who has now opened a store front. I had asked her how to go about getting a license. Her replies were as follows:

1. It really isn't all that difficult to get your home kitchen licensed but it's not cheap. First you have to register your business with the government (roughly $100) then you have to getting a zoning verification from the City (roughly $100) then you have to take both those items to the City licensing department and pay another $300 for a "bake shop" license. They send out the health department to inspect your kitchen and about a month later you can start baking.

2. I think that used to be the case (having to have a separate kitchen) but I only have one kitchen and I do have cats (they aren't supposed to have access to the kitchen while I bake). As I understand it they loosened the rules for "bake shop" but you still need a separate kitchen for catering...

3. You can find out about zoning here : http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartments/PlanningEcDev/Divisions/BuildingServices/BuildingEngineeringZoning/ZoningVerification.htm

You can contact the health department here: http://www.hamilton.ca/HealthandSocialServices/PublicHealth/FoodSafety/

See license requirements here: http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartments/PlanningEcDev/Divisions/ParkingBylawServices/BusinessLicences/EstablishmentLicence/

Quote by @%username% on %date%