Can You Refrigerate Fondant Covered Cakes?

Decorating By bvwilliams Updated 23 May 2014 , 6:27am by mmancuso

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:31pm
post #61 of 98

Well, this whole subject has always been of interest to me, because, I would like to use perishable fillings. However The last time I refrigerated a fondant covered cake, it was a disaster, major air bubbles, I had to refondant 3 out of the 5 tiers, on my daughters wedding cake. Soooo, I am very scared to try it again. I so desperately want a bigger variety of fillings, but am scared to death. IN fact, I want to use Toba's French Vanilla Buttercream in my cake this weekend, but I am not sure how long it can be out of fridge. It has no eggs, but lots of butter, any suggestions or tips from anyone who has used this delicious icing???

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:01pm
post #62 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

No offense to the OP or anyone else, but is it just me or does this question seem to get asked a lot, again and again. It would be nice to have FAQ sticky or even its own section where topics like this which could be found for quick reference.

No. It's not you. Talk about beating a dead horse. icon_lol.gif

SallyBratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SallyBratt Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:18pm
post #63 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

No offense to the OP or anyone else, but is it just me or does this question seem to get asked a lot, again and again. It would be nice to have FAQ sticky or even its own section where topics like this which could be found for quick reference.

In defense of the OP, if she's new she's not going to know. It might be nice to just point her in the right direction rather than assume she knows this is a belaboured subject.

As well, you always have the option of ignoring posts you've already answered elsewhere.

mamawrobin Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:26pm
post #64 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyBratt

Quote:

Quote:

In defense of the OP, if she's new she's not going to know. It might be nice to just point her in the right direction rather than assume she knows this is a belaboured subject.

As well, you always have the option of ignoring posts you've already answered elsewhere.

As was stated..."no offense to the op or anyone else" icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:32pm
post #65 of 98

[quote="MissRobin"]Well, this whole subject has always been of interest to me, because, I would like to use perishable fillings. However The last time I refrigerated a fondant covered cake, it was a disaster, major air bubbles, I had to refondant 3 out of the 5 tiers, on my daughters wedding cake. Soooo, I am very scared to try it again.
quote]

Just make sure to level all of the layers before you put the fillings in, and to really press down on the tier one it's filled. Don't smash it, obviously, but some people go so far as to put books or something heavy on them. I don't do that, but I give them a good press to make sure there's good adhesion between the layers.

Also, when you're doing the crumb coat, make sure that when you're icing where the two layers connect, that you're really pushing the icing into the crack. I think that a lot of times people don't really fill that space in, and air pockets will come out as a rsult. Really push the icing into the space first, then do the crumb coat.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:38pm
post #66 of 98
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the help Robin! thumbs_up.gif

This was not meant to be a slight against anyone, but merely to point out that this subject and others are asked weekly. I just thought it might be a good idea to put a list of commonly asked questions/FAQs and make them a sticky, something along the lines of what Rylan did for tutorials. That way when people search (which is not always easy, but I hope that people try first) they don't have to get 100's of threads that are the same or that point back to another thread. Just an idea.....sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread

SallyBratt Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:44pm
post #67 of 98
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the help Robin! thumbs_up.gif

This was not meant to be a slight against anyone, but merely to point out that this subject and others are asked weekly. I just thought it might be a good idea to put a list of commonly asked questions/FAQs and make them a sticky, something along the lines of what Rylan did for tutorials. That way when people search (which is not always easy, but I hope that people try first) they don't have to get 100's of threads that are the same or that point back to another thread. Just an idea.....sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread

I understand that. I'm just going on what I was like when I 1st started on these forums and I went straight to the question and answer sections. I didn't think to look for FAQs. If redirected there I would certainly go...but not everyone will know to do that when they 1st start. That's all I was saying.

costumeczar Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:44pm
post #68 of 98

mayo2222-- No matter what you do, people will ignore the stickies and keep asking the questions! I have a calendar and very specific information for brides next to the contact form on my website, and they still email me for dates that are totally booked up. People just don't think to check.

Sallybratt- You're right about the health dept. The package that they sent me was very clear that they want everything refrigerated between construction and delivery. They actually called me to ask about the IMBC recipe, too, since they had a question about using the egg whites in a buttercream before they'd approve it for use. They'd not only throw out a cream cheese filling cake that had been sitting out for three days, they'd also give you a violation and put you on the "repeat in a month" inspection list.

I don't think this is beating a dead horse, not when there's advice like "don't refrigerate a fondant cake ever" being posted.

kandyc10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyc10 Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:03pm
post #69 of 98

A little off subject, but, I did my first wedding cake a couple of weeks ago and wanted it to taste good and I have always used wilton fondant. I see that alot of people use Satin Ice with great results so I used that .. it did taste good, but it was sooo dry and cracked and tore so bad that the morning of the wedding I was baking and the end result was a buttercream wedding cake and not in the original design the bride wanted. Is it just me or has anyone else had this kind of a problem?

SallyBratt Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:06pm
post #70 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandyc10

A little off subject, but, I did my first wedding cake a couple of weeks ago and wanted it to taste good and I have always used wilton fondant. I see that alot of people use with great results so I used that .. it did taste good, but it was sooo dry and cracked and tore so bad that the morning of the wedding I was baking and the end result was a buttercream wedding cake and not in the original design the bride wanted. Is it just me or has anyone else had this kind of a problem?

I have problems with Satin Ice being dry too, especially when having to roll out for a large tier. I like Fondarific much better but it's a lot more expensive. Satin Ice works great with tylose for figure sculpting though.

costumeczar Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:06pm
post #71 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandyc10

A little off subject, but, I did my first wedding cake a couple of weeks ago and wanted it to taste good and I have always used wilton fondant. I see that alot of people use with great results so I used that .. it did taste good, but it was sooo dry and cracked and tore so bad that the morning of the wedding I was baking and the end result was a buttercream wedding cake and not in the original design the bride wanted. Is it just me or has anyone else had this kind of a problem?

I saw a few posts about SatinIce complaints recently, so it might have been a problem with the fondant. But why were you baking the morning of the wedding? Don't stress yourself out like that, get it done the day before and you won't have to drive yourself crazy!

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:00pm
post #72 of 98

Satin Ice does dry quite quickly, you do have to work very fast with. The first 20lb bucket I got was great, once I figured out how to work quickly. My second batch was sticky, and I have to add cornstarch to get it a good consistency. If you can work fast, it's a good priced fondant, but there are others that will allow you more time if you have the $$.

kandyc10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyc10 Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #73 of 98

[/quote]I saw a few posts about SatinIce complaints recently, so it might have been a problem with the fondant. But why were you baking the morning of the wedding? Don't stress yourself out like that, get it done the day before and you won't have to drive yourself crazy![/quote

I covered it the day before first white all over then a red swagged overlay. I got up the morning of to put on the plates and add the fondant pearls and when I put the spatula under them to move them the fondant literally started crumbling off the sides, I had no choice but to bake. It was a nightmare!

SallyBratt Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:13pm
post #74 of 98

Now there's a case for refrigeration right there. When I need to move my cakes to the fondant covered board I pop them in the freezer for a few minutes to firm them up. That way I can easily lift them with my hands and not worry about denting the fondant.

I don't know how others do it but this works for me.

I've never heard of SI crumbling like that tho. That's odd.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:39pm
post #75 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

Adevag wrote: If you decide to refrigerate your cakes I would not do any hand painting on them before refrigeration (if that is included in your design). The risk of getting condensation on your cakes once you take them out from the fridge (for an hour or so, depending on size) until the cake is back at room temp, and the condensation would probably ruin your paintings.

I was scared the first time I refrigerated a handpainted cake but had no choice (perishable filling) but it was no problem at all. Just make sure that the food coloring you use to paint has dried completely before you put it in the fridge. at that point its just like you tinted to fondant, its in there and doesnt bleed or run HTH

Thanks momma28. That is good to know and very helpful. I have always been scared, but will give it a try when I get an opportunity.

costumeczar Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:42pm
post #76 of 98

kandyc10--Oh, okay, it just seemed like you were baking the day of because that's what you usually did, not because it was an emergency! Sorry that happened.

SallyBratt Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:52pm
post #77 of 98

Now there's a case for refrigeration right there. When I need to move my cakes to the fondant covered board I pop them in the freezer for a few minutes to firm them up. That way I can easily lift them with my hands and not worry about denting the fondant.

I don't know how others do it but this works for me.

I've never heard of SI crumbling like that tho. That's odd.

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:24am
post #78 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

Dont' be surprised in warmer months when you remove your fondant cake from the refrigerator that it will "sweat" a bit. Just leave it though and it will evaporate and be perfect.

I agree. I placed a fondant covered cake in the fridge once and it worked out fine. I found that I couldn't work with it straight out of the fridge because of slight condesation but after a while it dried up and it was good to go. So if still need to decorate your cake you might want to allocate some extra time to allow for the cake to dry before decorating otherwise it will be a total mess.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:28am
post #79 of 98

I refrigerate my fondant cakes all the time. I have never had any problems with the fondant or condensation. I actually like to chill my cakes because it makes it firm up a little and helps with transporting them to their destinations. I don't cover my cakes with plastic wrap or anything else once they are decorated. I just place them in the fridge until delivery. Maybe that is why I have never had any problems.

stephilde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephilde Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:52pm
post #80 of 98

so not to start any more arguments on this thread icon_rolleyes.gif but i have been thinking about this question a lot lately. I havent yet experimented with refrigerating any of my fondant cakes because i have been scared. I need to bake a small cake and just try it out though ( i live in fl and its humid and thats what also scares me). But i feel that using nonperishable fillings only is very limiting. But for those of you that do refigerate, do you give your customers and any special instructions for taking the cake out of the fridge. I always hear dont touch it etc from all the boards, but do you give your customers a guideline like take cake out 20 mins before cutting etc? also, how about a wedding cake, those tend to sit out for 4 hours or so (the duration of the wedding). what do you do if it has a perishable filling? Just some questions i have been thinking about lately before i start experimenting! thanks!!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:30pm
post #81 of 98

I usually deliver the wedding cakes. They are ok to sit out for several hours during a reception and should always be served room temp if at all possible. The cake will stay quite cold for a good long time. Even smbc can be at room temp for 8 hours (some feel even longer). The fondant also protects the fillings and holds the cool in a bit.

At weddings I have made the cake AND attended the custards and such were still chilled even after hours of display time but the cake was nice texture because it had thawed.

Long story short (I know its a little late for that LOL) I have not had any issue refrigerating (of course I am not in florida) or using perishable fillings.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:43pm
post #82 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

I usually deliver the wedding cakes. They are ok to sit out for several hours during a reception and should always be served room temp if at all possible. The cake will stay quite cold for a good long time. Even smbc can be at room temp for 8 hours (some feel even longer). The fondant also protects the fillings and holds the cool in a bit.

At weddings I have made the cake AND attended the custards and such were still chilled even after hours of display time but the cake was nice texture because it had thawed.

Long story short (I know its a little late for that LOL) I have not had any issue refrigerating (of course I am not in florida) or using perishable fillings.

I am in Florida, and although I never refrigerate my cakes after they are filled, I have students that have done this and their fondant sweats and melts. I think that has to do too with how cold your fridge is. The colder it is the more your cake will sweat.

Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:44pm
post #83 of 98
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

Watch closely...the decorators on TV do refrigerate their fondant cakes.

Yep. But they have humidity controlled refrigerators.

yes they do! But the difference in humidity from State to state is what makes a difference outcome on how the cake will react to the temperature outside the fridge. I would say test it, bit be careful in warmer months.

Edna icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:03pm
post #84 of 98

Thank you Edna. icon_lol.gif I also don't refrigerate my cakes.

tonedna Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:17pm
post #85 of 98
Quote:

Thank you Edna. icon_lol.gif I also don't refrigerate my cakes.

And I never will either, I have seen so many cakes ruined by the fridge!
I use fillings that need no refirgeration and I dont like a cold cake. I think cold cake looses flavor. And that's my personal opinion. I know some friends of mine that like cold cake. I could never eat it cold
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:25pm
post #86 of 98

I agree with you on the cold cake. thumbs_up.gif I don't like them cold either. A cold cake taste stale to me. I refrigerated a cake once and you won't catch me making that mistake again. I don't use perishable fillings so there's never a need to.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:26pm
post #87 of 98

I actually refridgerate my MFF covered cakes in my home fridge all the time (set to 37F). I had been afraid to, but found out that it was fine after putting leftover cake in the fridge. As long as the cake is in a cardboard box or uncovered. But... I made a 2 tiered fondant cake for my son this weekend and had it in my fridge with no issue (fondant smooth and dry after 18 hrs), then took it to the restaurant and had them store it in their fridge during the party b/c it was 93F out and I was worried about the heat. When it came out of their fridge (in the a/c controlled restaurant) it was a bit sweatyand of course a bit more so once we brought it outside to serve. I had fondant swags on it and it all held up ok, and wasn't so sweaty that it ruined anything, but it definitely reacted differently in the resaurants fridge. So, to me, the best answer is it depends on your fridge. That being said, you really need to test it in your own fridge given everyone's situation is different, and... if your using perishable fillings, you must. Just my 2 cents, HTH.

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:26pm
post #88 of 98

i had a cake covered in fondant by wednesday (left to sit on the table, boxed) & delivered by saturday..never had a problem

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:03am
post #89 of 98

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. If I do refrigerate my MMF fondant cakes, is there a certain temperature a home refrigerator should be at? Should I raise the temp slightly to lessen the chances of the cake sweating?

gingerskitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerskitchen Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:12pm
post #90 of 98

hi all,

just trying to get more input regarding refrigerating cakes. i am making a wedding cake for a friend, and the thing is, we are also a part of the wedding. so i would have to make the delivery early on that day and the venue informed me that they will be putting the cake in their chiller with produce. i am worried about this .....

also, if i fill my cake with swiss buttercream and ganache, how long can these stay at room temp??

thanks everyone .... eagerly anticipating the feedback!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%