Fondant Mats - Are They Worth It?

Decorating By Byron Updated 29 Sep 2014 , 1:26am by Krypto

Byron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Byron Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:06am
post #1 of 22

I am new to fondant icing, only used it once previously and used tools I could find arround the house.

This time, as i am planning to use it more I decided to buy some tools, but then added up the cost icon_eek.gif . So now I am trying to see what I really need. I only play with cakes for family and friends for birthdays, about 12 a year but I like to have the right tools.

So my question is: Are fondant mats at $35+ ( i live in canada so costs can sometimes be different as well as shipping) really worth the cost, or can I just use my kitchen work surface.

21 replies
Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:14am
post #2 of 22

I have used the mats in the past and personally find them to be a pain. They work fine but add an extra step to the cleanup that I just don't need.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:15am
post #3 of 22

I use a piece of thick clear vinyl (the kind for putting over a tablecloth) from the fabric store. It costs about $3 a yard, and one yard is enough for a couple good-sized mats. It's easier to work on than my silicone mats. It's so easy to clean when you're done that I keep a piece out permanently on my work counter, to make cleanup easier when I make bread, tortillas, cookies, etc. If you want to store it you have to roll it up, because it gets permanent creases if it's folded.

CakeFaerieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeFaerieK Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:24am
post #4 of 22

I have a small fondant mat and it curls like crazy so it stays in the box!
I bought one of those blue mats in the fabric section....they're for use with rotary cutters. I use the cutting side for cutting my cake boards and freezer paper....then flip it over and use the other side for fondant. It's PERFECT. And cleaning it is a breeze.
Oh, I do use it for sewing too! icon_cool.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:24am
post #5 of 22

I don't use a matt at all. With my chocolate fondant, I just pick it up with both hands/arms. Works great!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Byron Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:57am
post #6 of 22

Thanks for the tips icon_biggrin.gif , its difficult to know what are must haves and what are gimmicks.

Along the same line, are the large 20" fondant rolling pins any better than a standard wooden one?

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:10am
post #7 of 22

Byron, you're better off with the vinyl that you can purchase at fabric stores. The fondant mats, at least the Wilton are cheap, thin, and crease permanently; they're garbage.

I have the Wilton rolling large and small rolling pins and I love them both. It's about one of the only items from Wilton that I am happy with.

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:18am
post #8 of 22

I've tried the Wilton mats and hate them. I saw a tip on here to get the vinyl from the fabric section in Walmart and I LOVE it! I too just keep a piece on my counter top all of the time now because it makes clean up so easy.

I saw on a tutorial recently that some people just use a piece of PVC pipe instead of the rolling pins. I haven't tried that, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Jessi83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessi83 Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:12am
post #9 of 22

I agree that the Wilton Roll & Cut mats are junk! I would have to tape the damn thing down to hold it still when I was rolling out the fondant. The only good thing about it was that it was lightweight and easy to transfer the fondant to the cake. I bought a large silicone mat from my local cake decorating store and works much better. Don't have to worry about all of the creases or flimsy-ness of the little plastic mats! The rolling pins rock too!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:23am
post #10 of 22

I don't like the large rolling pins because it seems really hard on my wrists to use it. A wooden one isn't the best thing to use either though. I have a sil-pin which has a silicone rolling surface and metal handles. I've heard good things about the large metal pins too. The one advantage that the big plastic rolling pin has is that it's wide enough that you don't get marks from the edges...but after my fondant is rolled large enough, I rub my hands over it until it's smooth and shiny, and that gets rid of edge marks.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:40pm
post #11 of 22

I bought the blue silicone Ateco fondant mat and I LOVE it! It rolls out flat, doesn't move around much (if at all), and I can cut on it (and not on my counter).

But, like others have said, vinyl from the fabric store could work too.

Oh, and I saw a how-to with Ron Ben-Isreal where he used a PVC water pipe to roll out his fondant, instead of a rolling pin. Just go here: http://www.rolledfondant.com/how.htm and scroll down in the right-side menu and find "Ron Ben-Isreal | Cover Cake."

He does say that they are food safe (otherwise how can they deliver drinking water to your tap) and they can be sterilized. icon_smile.gif I'm thinking about trying it out.

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:26pm
post #12 of 22

I bought the large fondant rolling pin and I hate the darn thing. I use a regular rolling pin ( not wood). But I've heard of a lot of folks that use the pvc pipe. You can Make it any size you want.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:29pm
post #13 of 22

I bought the mat.... 2 diffrnt ones.... and the rolling pin about 90$ in all....

what I use...

I roll on my stainless steel countertop.... an duse a PVC pipe as a rolling pin....

I feel I wasted my $$$$ I don't need it.... and if it's for a big cake... then it's better to buy the vinyl from walmart or a fabric store it works just as good if not better....

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:56pm
post #14 of 22

I have wilton 20" pin and it works great. I also have a 5 lb stainless steel one that is also great. It does most of the work for you because of the weight. The great thing about the PVC pipe is that you can cut it as long as you need it. I have a 30" one and it is great for transfering large pieces of fondant onto a 14" plus cake.

ThreePrinces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreePrinces Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #15 of 22

I use vinyl.
I have a silicone rolling pin and I LOVE it.

Byron Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:47pm
post #16 of 22

Thanks so much to everyone. That just saved me $90. I should think outside to box more.

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:04pm
post #17 of 22

I have a question about the mats from the fabric store.

When rolling out fondant, do you have to use powdered sugar or crisco or anything to keep it from sticking? Thanks

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:30pm
post #18 of 22

I bought the big blue silicone mat and it's such a pain to clean and store. I use wax paper for working with small accents, I really don't do many fondant covered cakes so, I don't miss it at all.

TheSweetTreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSweetTreat Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 4:21pm
post #19 of 22

I'm resurrecting this thread.  I have a question about the vinyl from a fabric store as well.  Can it just roll up to store and then roll flat again and STAY flat while working?  Like a previous poster asked, do most of you use powdered sugar or shortening when working with fabric store vinyl?

Also, what mat do most of you use for small fondant jobs such as decorations, etc.?  Is anyone still using vinyl from the fabric store?

Thank you!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 12:20am
post #20 of 22

No.  I no longer use fabric store vinyl now that a food safe vinyl is available.  Fabric store vinyl contains phthalates [carcinogens] and can be made from recycled products that have no place touching food.

Whenever I have the opportunity to use something that has been specially created for use with food, I upgrade for my own peace of mind and for the good of my clients.

Since this thread was started 4 years ago, I have purchased The Mat [sweetwise.com]-- food safe vinyl.  I don't bother with the more expensive one with the marking.  The 30x30, 2 piece system is $22+s/h.  I only roll on 1 piece and replace that about 1x/yr., so it's really very cost effective.

Also, now that edible dusts are available, I no longer use "non-toxic", inedible dusts.

I firmly believe that when I know better, I have an obligation to do better.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 12:54am
post #21 of 22

I also use 'The Mat' from Sweetwise.  I love it.  For 20 years I rolled on the bench and then around a large wooden dowel for transferring to the cake as that was what was available.  I did buy a Wilton mat and junked it almost straight away.  Hated it. 

A mat is not a necessity but it does make life a lot easier and I went from hating putting the fondant on cakes to not minding.

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 1:26am
post #22 of 22

A[quote name="TheSweetTreat" url="/t/678783/

Also, what mat do most of you use for small fondant jobs such as decorations, etc.?  Is anyone still using vinyl from the fabric store?

Thank you! [/quote]

I use a flexible plastic cutting board for my fondant decorations and accents. It's the perfect size and it's food safe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%