katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:21am
post #1 of 25

as pans with cups that go straight up instead of flairing out? icon_smile.gif

24 replies
CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:29am
post #2 of 25

I find the wilton pans to be much straighter than other pans I have (Baker's Secret, for example). They aren't exactly straight, but the flare is minimal. I don't know if there is a specific pan that has straight sides though.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:35am
post #3 of 25

I'd like to know that, too! I saw cupcakes posted today by Swakeleyscakes that were straight up on the sides and I love that look.

Maybe if we PM we can find out what pans were used.

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:35am
post #4 of 25

I have never seen any like that. Popover pans have straight sides, but they are a lot deeper.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:35am
post #5 of 25

You can buy them at restaurant supply stores or online.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:44am
post #6 of 25

You can also bake in large nut cups.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:33am
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwnest

I have never seen any like that. Popover pans have straight sides, but they are a lot deeper.

I actually thought about those - maybe not fill them so full.

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:10am
post #8 of 25

I looked, and there is a cast-iron pan from Lodge Logic that runs about $12-$13. A lot of people wrote bad reviews of the pan, because it's "small," but the bottom is 2 1/4", the same as a regular cupcake pan, it just doesn't flare.

But that makes me wonder, do regular cupcake papers work? They are formed to flare, too.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:13am
post #9 of 25

You know, I saw those gorgeous cupcakes by Swakeleyscakes and that was one of the things that struck me, I loved the non-flared sides!! (Well, they were completely awesome from top to bottom, that was just ONE of the cool things!) I'd love to know the answer to this too, because sometimes you don't want that flared look.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:04am
post #10 of 25

I saved the photo of those cupcakes for the same reason... I really want to know how to replicate that beautiful straight look, and figured I'd eventually get around to asking (if it hadn't already been asked and answered).

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:22am
post #12 of 25

The links that 7yyrt posted probably provide the answer...but I wanted to add that I have this 6-cup silicon muffin pan with 2" tall sides that, at first glance, look pretty straight...I did measure and the top is a bit wider than the bottom, but when I placed a cupcake liner down in there, it stayed straight, no flaring at all.

I've never made cupcakes in this pan, but it works wonders for muffins.

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:45am
post #13 of 25

awesome! We have that pan in Australia! (i was wondering how to get straight sided cupcakes a while ago!)

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:27am
post #14 of 25

I saw some "straight up" pans at Ikea yesterday with papers that go straight up, too. they're still "crinkled,", but they go up instead of out.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00133038

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:31am
post #15 of 25

there is a site... in England... and they have pans with cylinders (cupcakes sizes) that look like u r saying....

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:33am
post #16 of 25
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:23pm
post #17 of 25

Just so you know, i have that mini cake pan, and they are wider and taller than regular cupcakes

nicolesplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesplace Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:27pm
post #18 of 25

You can also buy baking papers that you put on a cookie sheet. Wilton online carries some but they don't have any plain coloured ones, all 3 have recipes printed on them. If you google "paper baking cups" you'll find them. Pricier than standard cupcake liners but they would be perfect for weddings etc...

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:42pm
post #19 of 25

Can someone post the link to the cupcake picture you guys are talking about? I'd like to see it but can't seem to find it. Thanks!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:40pm
post #20 of 25

MariaK38, those are much cheaper than the ones I found. Thanks for the link!

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:46pm
post #21 of 25

no problem! I just happened to go to Ikea yesterday to return something and get some new cutting boards and walked right by them. Talk about great timing on our parts! I love the papers, too. The designs on them are so different.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #22 of 25

I bought the ikea pans last wekk. I haven't tried them out yet. Does anyone know where else you can buy the liners for them? Preferable in bulk? I'm wondering how long Ikea will keep the liners in stock?

FlourPots Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:43pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Can someone post the link to the cupcake picture you guys are talking about? I'd like to see it but can't seem to find it. Thanks!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1662095

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 3 May 2010 , 6:53pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1662095

Thanks! Those are cool! The last comment on her photo addresses the type of pan she used. Here it is:

"Lots of you have asked which pan gives the straight side: I used a 6 cup silicon pan by Tefal - I think it's been rebranded under the "Jamie Oliver" range. I bought mine some years ago but having seen a picture it "looks" the same?"

FlourPots Posted 3 May 2010 , 7:05pm
post #25 of 25

Oh wow, so it was silicon....

I posted on pg. 1 at 2 in the morning...I was just guessing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%