Can I Cut/trim Isomalt Once It Has Hardened?

Sugar Work By cakesrock Updated 4 May 2010 , 11:05am by cakesrock

cakesrock Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:15am
post #1 of 3

Can I cut/trim isomalt after it hardens? I tried using it for the first time and had trouble with overflowing the jewel molds. I also tried to make a square shaped sheet for a cake decoration, but it spilled outside the mold. If I was to cut either of these, what would I use?

Thanks!

2 replies
deetmar Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:45am
post #2 of 3

Yes, you can. I use those little school scissors, the kind that kids use when they first start school. They work awesome. The part I cut off, I re-melt to make more gems.

I also purchased a set of flexible measuring cups, this helps control the overflow.

cakesrock Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:05am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetmar

Yes, you can. I use those little school scissors, the kind that kids use when they first start school. They work awesome. The part I cut off, I re-melt to make more gems.

I also purchased a set of flexible measuring cups, this helps control the overflow.

Great idea to use the little kids scissors! I bought some silicone muffim cups (as suggested on another post) and my 2nd batch of jewels turned out great- they gave me way more control!
However, I tried to soften my large square sheet of isomalt in the microwave and it heated unevenly (one side melted while the other side was rock hard) and cracked when I tried to trim it. I just need to buy a mold making kit next time. I did not actually know they existed when I started this project.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%