Ge Monogram 48" Dual Fuel Professional Range

Decorating By MalibuBakinBarbie Updated 6 May 2010 , 3:33am by Lorieann55

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:11am
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone!

I am wondering if any of you have this range? Just to give you background, I have been baking with a Jenn-Air electric oven for almost the past 10 years. I am in the market for a new range and see that GE Monogram advertises that the above model has two ovens that are "European reverse-air convection", and that each oven has 6 heating elements "to provide superb baking results." I am not familiar with this; although my DH loves convection. With regards to cake baking, does anyone know if this will provide consistent baking results? I need my cakes to come out evenly baked, and this is a huge investment. icon_surprised.gif

I researched on line and could only find one single comment from someone who said that her oven heats hotter on the rear right side. The GE tech told her nothing could be done and to make sure to rotate her pans. I don't rotate my pans now. I put them in the oven and wait until they're done. Never had a problem. I am considering this unit for many reasons and painstakingly designed the kitchen to accomodate this 48" range with warming hood. I considered the other notable high end brands, like Viking, Wolf, DCS and Dacor. However, I find that I really liked the GE. But with respect to the oven usage and my cake baking (when the opportunity is fortunate enough to arise!), I want this to be easier for me, not more cumbersome.

I sincerely appreciate and respect any feedback from the CC community. You may PM if you wish, too.

Thank you for reading & have a wonderful week! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 5

Oh, dear. I thought for sure that someone in our CC community who has this range would've found my post. I'll check back again later! Thanks everyone! icon_smile.gif

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:25am
post #3 of 5

Hi, I've been baking in mine for 12 years. Geez.... it hardly seems that long! Installed it in 1998. It's the ZDP48L6DWSS model. I love that it can handle the larger pans.

It does have the hot corner, in the very back on the right. I would have thought GE would have addressed that issue after all of these years. I can't say that it has been that big of an issue for me, and I don't rotate my pans either.

Do you know when the comment that you found on line about the hot spot was made? Have you asked your dealer if GE has done anything about it? It would be interesting to put two thermometers in the oven, one in the middle and the other in the back, right corner, and see how much of a temperature difference there actually is. If they have one hooked up in the showroom you might be able to test that.

Oh, and I don't usually bake with the convection feature.
When I got mine they offered a free 25 point set-up/inspection service. It's done after it has been installed (we installed it ourselves). I had done so much research on this range that I knew more about it than the technician did! As a matter of fact, he had never seen this model before the day he came to my house for the inspection. icon_surprised.gif

I have been very happy with my range and would not hesitate to get another if the need ever arises. icon_biggrin.gif HTH

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:50am
post #4 of 5

Thank you very much, Lorieann55! I appreciate you sharing your experience with me. I will definitely ask some more questions and may consider contacting GE with my concerns. As you know, it's a big investment of money and space icon_eek.gif , and I very much want to make the right decision the 1st time. icon_biggrin.gif

Here is the model I am about to purchase:
http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SPECPAGE&SKU=ZDP486LRPSS&SITEID=MON2

The comment about the hot spot was posted in February of this year. Here is the link:
http://www.rateitall.com/i-3161648-ge-monogram-48-inch-dual-fuel-range.aspx

It's so funny that your technician never saw your range model before! icon_lol.gif

Thank you again for sharing! I wish you many many more years of happiness with yours! You have been very helpful!!!

(Love your avatar by the way! Beautiful! thumbs_up.gif )

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:33am
post #5 of 5

You are very welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

Wow, I had not looked at the new models in a long time ...... they sure have changed since I got mine.

Good luck with your search for your perfect range, there's one out there for everyone.

Thank you for the kind comment about my avatar. The horse that cake is based on is my neighbor's stallion. I did the cake as a surprise for her birthday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%