Mini Cakes

Decorating By Taunti Updated 7 May 2010 , 2:54am by sweetiesbykim

Taunti Posted 2 May 2010 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 11

Hello Ladies~

Can someone tell me how you go about making Mini cakes like 3" square or round?
I was wondering do people cut these by cookie cutters of different sizes or do they actually have min pans that small?

How do you transport 100 of these little things.

I hear I will cry if I start making these, that people actually hate making these, is this really true, LOL?

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif
T

10 replies
antonia74 Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:00am
post #2 of 11

If you have LOTS of time and have charged very well for these, then you can organize your time and be paid fairly for the amount of labour they take.....and be advised, it's a lot!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-618010-mini.html
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-669734-mini.html

Personally, unless I charged in the range of $15-$25 apiece for them, I will never ever take those orders again. People think that because they are smaller that that must mean "easier" and "cheaper" and that's the farthest possible guess from the reality of these little nightmares. thumbsdown.gif

Taunti Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:09am
post #3 of 11

OH WOW~ THANKS Those are great links I'm going to read through them, Yeah I'm not to sure about 100 of these, I have friends who think cause were friends things should be cheaper....SERIOUS?

Try explaining it to people who don't know how to bake they don't understand the time behind it.

I appreciate the links I'm head to check them out now icon_smile.gif Pricing is important too never thought to much about it, I was thinking 12.00-15.00 to begin with and I still think that's a little low.

So this information is going to help me lots icon_smile.gif
Thank you
T

leah_s Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:26am
post #4 of 11

I bake the cake in sheets and cut rounds with a cutter. And charge a minimum of $20 each. That was several years ago. I'd charge more now.

Ballymena Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:03am
post #5 of 11

Totally agree with Antonia!

Taunti Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you all this gives me some good room, with cutting and pricing. I'm still shaking my head, I'm not sure I want to do 100, let alone 5, LOL!

Antonia, I noticed a link you posted regarding a lady who did like 500 and she had these round deep cutters. Showed great photos.
Do you know what those cutters are called or where one can get some in bulk?
I'd like to have square ones too but all I can find is biscuit cutters with handled yet they look deep enough.

Does anyone else have suggestions on that?

Thanks again
I'll be sure to post photos

antonia74 Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunti

Thank you all this gives me some good room, with cutting and pricing. I'm still shaking my head, I'm not sure I want to do 100, let alone 5, LOL!

Antonia, I noticed a link you posted regarding a lady who did like 500 and she had these round deep cutters. Showed great photos.
Do you know what those cutters are called or where one can get some in bulk?
I'd like to have square ones too but all I can find is biscuit cutters with handled yet they look deep enough.

Does anyone else have suggestions on that?

Thanks again
I'll be sure to post photos

If you semi-freeze your sheets of cake, you can use regular round/square cutters to cut them out. Just bake the layers in nice, flat 1" sided cookie sheets. Works like a charm.

Taunti Posted 5 May 2010 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks Again I just ordered some cutters so well see how it goes, from the sounds of it doesn't sound to thrilling, LOL!

Tellis12 Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 11

Well, I have to confess I've never done a huge order and that might change my mind, but I don't mind doing all the little ones. It is a ton of work but I actually enjoy it.

Taunti Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:34am
post #10 of 11

Well I decided to make some just of giggles for my mom for Mothers day I'll let you know how it goes icon_smile.gif

sweetiesbykim Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:54am
post #11 of 11

I took an ICES class with Kathy Scott from SC on petit fours and mini wedding cakes for each serving. She uses chocolate molds she sells/used to sell in the following steps:

1. paint/coat inside of each candy mold cavity with chocolate. Let set-up. Make sure it's thick enough to not see through or break, but thin enough to fit cake and icing.
2. pipe a large dot of icing in the base of the molded chocolate while still in the mold.
3. add a layer of cake to cover icing (cut out from sheet cakes with a coordinating cookie cutter)
4. smear tops of cake and mold with chocolate to seal everything in, which, when inverted out of the molds, will be the bottom.
5. turn mold upside down and remove finished petit fours.
6. decorate with piping, or thin fondant cameos or molds on the top
7. use pearl spray to finish

I know she had 3-layer mini wedding cake molds for this, also. I have some of the one-layer petit fours in my photos -they came out perfectly and got many compliments! I thought they were pretty easy, and fool-proof too! The key is to have many molds to create assembly line work of it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%