What Do You Sell At Farmers Market, Etc?

Baking By luv2bake6 Updated 12 May 2010 , 6:09pm by cylstrial

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 2 May 2010 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 19

I have an opportunity to rent a table and sell decorated cookies at a small community farmers market and the themes they are focusing on are fathers day, graduation, teachers appreciation, bbq, and summer.

Since this will take place at least 2-3 weeks before fathers day, graduation time, end up school, and summer, people will not want to buy cookies that day as they would not be fresh enough. I think they'd prefer to order closer to the time they need cookies.

Part of the agreement is that i need to sell stuff and not just make samples to showcase. What should i sell and what should i have out as sample designs? This is important for me because it's a community i'd really like to advertise to and drum up some local orders. Any help would be appreciated.

18 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 2 May 2010 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 19

o make cake truffles, cookies, chocoalte suckers, hard suckers, and marshmallows

I also keep a book with things Ive done, and have brouchers for custom orders

luv2bake6 Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:33am
post #3 of 19

they want me to concentrate on decorated cookies cuz that is what i'd be advertising. Brochures and order forms are in the works; thanks.

patrice2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrice2007 Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:34am
post #4 of 19

Your cookies are beautiful.....if you don't mind me asking what are you charging for them? I was asked this week to make cookies and cupcakes for a baby shower.

Thank you

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 19

I would make up a couple "spring/summer themed" cookie bouquets......and then have some containers with misc. decorated cookies on sticks..........could do lollipop (the swirly ones) cookies, smiley face cookies, princess crowns, animals, etc. anything you think would catch the eye of an adult/child and make them "have to have THAT cookie" and then you could sell all of those individually.

Also, I would make up some "sample" cookies of neckties (father's day), grills, hot dogs (summer), american flags (4th of july), etc. that showcase your talent as well as different design ideas.

Might not be a bad idea to market the wedding crowd too with some sample monogram cookies/cookie favors!

I would also make up a little order form that you could fill out on the spot and get their signature stating the design is what they want (like doing a mini consultation while taking their order) so that you're kept organized in the event you wind up taking 30+ orders. Also, take your calendar with you so you don't "overbook" yourself with too many orders too close together!!

Sounds like fun!!

here is a sample of a cake order form that I threw together for when I meet up with people for birthday cakes, etc. w/ a sig. line to say they approve the design, etc. so there is no mis-communications!

HTH

luv2bake6 Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 19

thank you khalstead. You're right! I need to attract the kiddies who will pull their parents over to get some yummies. I've seen 2 types of swirly lollys, one where different colored cookie doughs are rolled into strips, joined, swirled and baked on sticks; and the other where it's done with different colored fondant.
Which is easier and are their any other tips for making these?

Speaking of cookies on sticks, i have seen pics where a thick bamboo-like skewer is used. Does anyone know where to get these? I only have the thin ones.

KHalstead Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 19

you can get wooden skewers at any grocery store. I bought the ones used on these cookies at Save a Lot grocery store for a dollar, I think there was 100 in the pack!

They're perfect for sliding right into a 1/4" thick cookie.

As for the lollipop cookies I love the look of the colored dough like these

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww176/headofthetable/new%2520camera/2431575780086219738S600x600Q85.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.headofthetableblog.com/2009/06/multiple-personalities-lollipop-cookies.html&usg=__vdYUq2Znqz5enad2tbS9LH-Bhdw=&h=452&w=600&sz=58&hl=en&start=5&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=AzEroJjDbAjdWM:&tbnh=102&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhow%2Bto%2Bmake%2Blollipop%2Bcookies%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial%26channel%3Ds%26tbs%3Disch:1

BUT...........would they be sweet enough? I mean, who wants to eat an un-iced cookie you know??

anyhow..........definitely market to some kids.....my kids love stuff with animals.....my sons like frogs, penguins, etc. and my DD loves anything furry...dogs, cats, rabbits, racoons, etc.

I see a lot of little kids birthday parties and baby showers doing the forest animals theme too!

You don't even need to make more than 1 of each.........use this as an opportunity to REALLY build up your portfolio as well (take photos of each cookie w/ a nice complementary colored sheet of scrapbooking paper behind it)

think about weddings, baby showers, birthdays, etc. and do some cookies related to those events too.........you never know if someone who KNOWS someone that's getting married or having a baby might buy just one cookie to show their friend!
LL

luv2bake6 Posted 3 May 2010 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 19

thanks again for all your advice; i guess i'm feeling slightly overwhelmed and not sure where to start.........your ideas are always so helpful!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 19

Luv2bake6 - I'm really glad that you started this thread! I'm going to be selling all sorts of things at my farmer's market this year. Are you going to have the customer's leave a deposit? Like 50%? Or are you going to make them prepay the entire purchase?

KHalstead - I really like form you posted. I think that I'm going to make one VERY similar to the one you posted. Do you consider that to be a contract? Because I'm looking for a little one page contract sort of thing and I think that looks pretty good. Do you think I would need to add anything to make it a contract?

And I think I remember you posting a drop off/pick up signature waiver type of thing. If so, could you post that again?

Thanks!

luv2bake6 Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:59am
post #10 of 19

This is a first for me so i'll have to see how it goes. I am expecting that most people will take my info instead of ordering right then and there. I will do as Khalstead recommended to have a preset contract out and just take it from there. My husband will be there with me so i'll have more support and help.

RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 4 May 2010 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 19

Make sure to have different price points/ size cookies.
Also I did a farmer's market last fall and had some undecorated cut-out sugar cookies in a bowl as decoration. You would be surprised how many people wanted to order them.

So I say, offer some non decorated cookies as well.

luv2bake6 Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 19

RachieRach, never would've thought of that. Thanks.

cylstrial Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:47pm
post #13 of 19

Luv2bake6 - when does your market start?

luv2bake6 Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:51pm
post #14 of 19

It's a one day event and it's on the 23. I've got a bunch of different shaped cookies baked and stored so i need to figure out and start decorating next week. Still feeling overwhelmed with so many different choices to make but i'm excited too.

cylstrial Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:36pm
post #15 of 19

I understand, I'm also preparing for my first season at the Farmer's market. Mine is the 21st and 22nd. So I'm right there panicing with you. But I'm sure that everything will turn out great in the long run.

If you would like to talk about some idea's through email or a PM, let me know. Sometimes, it helps to bounce idea's off one another.

Why is your market only a one day event? It would be great if you could get in on it every weekend.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 7 May 2010 , 10:45pm
post #16 of 19

Don't the wooden skewers have a pointed end? Do you cut that off? And also KHalstead, since I've started making your recipe, the ones for dh and myself never have any kind of icing on them. Sooooo good. lol

KHalstead Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:49pm
post #17 of 19

They do have a pointy end, you can either cut it off or use it as the end that you stick into the styro in your pots to stand up the cookies (if you do the latter you'll just have to tell parents to be careful with the kids)

Here is a copy of the signature page that I use when dropping off wedding cakes and other things.

Also, I do consider that "occasional form" a contract for things other than wedding cakes....if anyone wants it emailed to them in .doc form so you can change the text to suit your own business name and needs pm me your email and I'll be happy to send it your way!

KHalstead Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:50pm
post #18 of 19

it looks kinda goofy........I made the writing really big so you guys could read it all..........it's not normally spaced and broken up like that lol

cylstrial Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:09pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks Tina! I'm going to PM you with my email address!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%