Help On Making A 3-D Football Cake

Decorating By mimisunshine Updated 3 May 2010 , 9:15pm by CutieMcCakes

mimisunshine Posted 2 May 2010 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 4

I have been asked to make a 3-D football groom's cake and am not sure how to do that. I thought about making two layers of football pan cakes and inverting one of them, but would the bottom layer break since it's not level? I could also carve it, but I've never done that, so am a bit nervous. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
aztomcat Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:51am
post #2 of 4

I actually bought a 3-d cake pan (half a football). I would say find the pan and stack two on top of each other. The base could be made into a green football field. You can make the icing texture leatherlike by rubbing with a papertowel with similar texture. Add laces and stripes of fondant.

Here is the pan I have:

http://www.michaels.com/art/online
displayProductPage?productNum=sc0423

good luck

cakebaker1957 Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimisunshine

I have been asked to make a 3-D football groom's cake and am not sure how to do that. I thought about making two layers of football pan cakes and inverting one of them, but would the bottom layer break since it's not level? I could also carve it, but I've never done that, so am a bit nervous. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

What do you actually mean 3-D i have the wilton half football pan that i used in my pictures is he wanting one that looks like an actually football ? If so could you not use the wilton pan and bake it twice and put it together with icing, then make it look like a football ?? Sorry

CutieMcCakes Posted 3 May 2010 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 4

another idea is to make the bottom half out of styrofoam and put the top half of cake on it and then carve then whole thing.. The styrofoam could be anchored to the board with royal icing if you cut a flat spot on the bottom of it. then cover the whole thing in icing and fondant, and there you have a whole football!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%