Not To Sweet Frosting

Baking By Mamatoboys Updated 4 May 2010 , 3:38am by glendaleAZ

Mamatoboys Posted 2 May 2010 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 4

My neighbor has asked me to make a cake for her b-day next week. She says that she doesn't like "regular" icing - it's too sweet for her. She said that she likes a "butter" icing. Does anyone have any recomendations for a not to sweet icing? Thanks!

3 replies
sgirvan Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:31am
post #2 of 4

my favorite recipe is the whipped buttercream icing - EVERYONE loves is and it is also my favorite. You can find it in the recipe section on this board

Mamatoboys Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

glendaleAZ Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:38am
post #4 of 4

I've used this recipe a couple of times this past month for people who didn't want the sweet type buttercream frosting. It's really, really good. The taste is somewhere between regular buttercream and whippedcream frosting.

Whimsical Bakehouse Whipped Buttercream

This is a great light recipe that is not sickningly sweet and is stable. Now it is a whipped buttercream and I am not sure that it would hold up for flowers and decorations beyond borders etc. but it is my standard now for my basic cakes:

In 1 tsp vanilla dissolve 1/8 tsp salt
6 cups powdered sugar.
Using whip attachment, whip on low speed.
Add 1 cup boiling water (3/4 on hot days)

Whip until smooth & cooled. This is now a slurry. Don't get discouraged.
Add & whip until smooth again:
2 3/4 cup high ratio or regular shortening of choice
6 oz. butter (1 1/2 sticks) of butter cubed

*Turn mixer to med high. Whip until double in volume & is light & fluffly. This takes about 20 mins. Recipe will fill a 5 qt mixer. Makes 9.5 cups

For chocolate: exchange 1 cup of icing sugar for powdered cocoa. I have found that you have to whip it for the full 20 mins. on high.
No joke for the time. You cannot shorten it. It makes 9.5 cups of icing and it is light and fluffy without a greasy taste or a sugary one as well.

Give it a try, I think your friend will love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%