Best Petit Four Covering??? Best Cake For Petit Four's???

Baking By BakeLoveMom Updated 2 May 2010 , 11:46pm by BakeLoveMom

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 4

I'd like to try my hand at petit fours, I have seen a couple different coverings...ie poured fondant, or using straight melted chocolate. I would like to know what other's to use, I would like something that lended itself to non-bumpy sides and isn't necessarily see through. Does such a thing exist?

Also as a side note...what type of cake is best? I have seen sponge cake and pound cake being listed...

Thanks so much everyone,
Sarah

3 replies
iheartcupkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcupkakes Posted 2 May 2010 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 4

i have a friend in pastry school and at school they use sponge cake.. hope that helps a little.. about the covering i have no idea.. would like to know myself on that one icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 May 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 4

The traditional route is poured fondant. More coats will get smoother, but not that much. I suppse u could cut a rectangle of marzipan and wrap round the sides, make the corners sharper then cover. (traditionally just the top is marzipanned)
U could use ganache too.
If u like feeling like u want to kill ur self, u could use proper fondant, but that will b even worse than mini cakes!
I used maderia sponge last time, next time it will be poun cake, u can't beat it!
xx

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 2 May 2010 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks everyne...I think I will give it a shot this week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%