Letters On Wires?

Decorating By 02392Suze Updated 5 May 2010 , 12:31pm by 02392Suze

02392Suze Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 7

I want to add a childs name on wires to a cake. I have the funky alphabet tappits but would they work as they are very thin? any ideas???

6 replies
kimblyd Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 7

They can be very thin and delicate, and I seem to have a lot of trouble with breakage when I start to handle them.

My advice would be to not try to stick the wires into the letters, but attach them to the back with a small piece of fondant or whatever you are using to make the letters. Be sure to make extras.

One other thing you could do is make some thicker shapes-squares or circles, stick your wires into those, and then glue the letters on the shapes. It will change the look of course, but it would definitely be sturdier.

HTH.

soledad Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:02am
post #3 of 7

I made my sons graduation cake , which has letters and numbers on it...what I did was I cut two sets of the same letter or number and put them together with a wooden skewer in between.(for my own safety reasons i do not like putting wires in cakes icon_eek.gif )I belive funky letters are somewhat thiner but it might work icon_smile.gif . You can see the cake in my photo is the only one so far! Good luck!

ceshell Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:04am
post #4 of 7

Just be sure to use 100% gumpaste so they will dry really hard and sturdy. Then follow the PP's advice about how to attach!

cookingmama75 Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:29am
post #5 of 7

Just seen your post and thought i would help!!!...I recently was asked to make a cake with "Springy things" coming out of it LOL...So set about wondering how best to go about this....I did use VERY CLEAN coloured florist wire and tried the lovehearts with fondant at first....I quickly found out it was much too heavy and started to crack...Then i used 100% mexican gumpaste...colored it to what i needed...Cut 2 of the same shape on each of the wire and added a little water...pressed gently..and left on greaseproof paper for a while till hardened....Seemed to work a treat!...even when lifted not to heavy and no breaks im glad to report!..And just for effect i added some lustere dust at the last minute.Also when i added the wire in through the fondant it did not sit cofortable with ME or the CAKE..a little unpredictable..so i came up with an idea i pushed straws that i cut about 2 inch"s down into the cake just so you could see the top of them poking through the cake and slipped the wire down into the straws..this helps in 2 ways first it keeps the wire away from the cake as the straw forms a barrirer between them second.the straws keep the wire exactly where you want them which should save on a headache lol..not spoiling your finished cake..In the end the "Springy things" worked a treat...I hope i have helped...tried to add the pic but no success lol..have a look on my profile to see what i mean

ceshell Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 7

Oh yes, you absolutely want to put the wires into something to protect the cake from them. I like the small stirrer straws too, and I use melted chocolate to keep the wires glued into the straws thumbs_up.gif. The fact that they then keep the wires from ripping through your cake is an added bonus, but prior to that fact is simply the fact that florist wire is not food-safe. Skewers are, of course, a great solution for the wire-averse.

02392Suze Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 7

Thank yu all so much xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%