Nightmare On Cake Street

Decorating By cakeaddikt Updated 4 May 2010 , 5:47pm by bakingatthebeach

cakeaddikt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddikt Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 11

Yesterday my nightmare came true! I was delivering a 3 tier cake to a client who was giving her husband a big birthday party, and just as I was opening the back of my trunk to take the cake out I realized the cake collapsed!!!!! icon_cry.gif I was horrified. This has never happened to me before. I feel so bad because not only did I ruin the clients party, but I feel like I ruined my reputation. I have worked so hard at building a cake business and I am now doubting myself big time! I gave the client a refund...and thank goodness the client was really sweet about it but I feel really bad about this... I will never use wooden dowels again!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

10 replies
JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 11

I have learned this the hard way as well. I only use bubble tea straws now. The good thing that your client was nice about it!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 11

Let's talk about SPS. Your cake will NOT collapse. Remember the general cause of a collapse is the dowel or straw shifting off perfectly vertical. With SPS the legs can't shift. Impossible. They're attached to the plate.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 11

Can someone tell me what SPS is or post a link?

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tclanton

Can someone tell me what SPS is or post a link?

This is where you can find the info on SPS....I use it and will not EVER use anything else!!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:09am
post #6 of 11

I agree with Leah and q2 wheels--SPS is the only thing to use!

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:36am
post #7 of 11

Those of you who use SPS - do you use it on all your stacked cakes as well, and if so, then do you require the customer to return your plates after the event? I've been considering getting those for doweled cakes, but not even considered it for stacked.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:44am
post #8 of 11

I agree, SPS all the way!!! And I have never looked back!

I had bubble tea straws collapse on me when a 4 tier cake shifted the tiniest bit while in transit. Never again!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:38am
post #9 of 11

What do you mean when you talk about a doweled cake versus a stacked cake? They're the same thing.

Yes, I use SPS for every cake, every style, every time. It works for everything. Sometimes I use 4" legs, sometimes 7" legs.

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 11

You're right -- I meant "pillared" versus stacked.
I haven't used plates on stacked cakes because I don't always get exactly 4 inch tiers. Sometimes a bit more (which I could trim down, I suppose) but usually just a bit under 4 inches. So I haven't even considered using a plating system unless it's pillared...

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 4 May 2010 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG

Those of you who use SPS - do you use it on all your stacked cakes as well, and if so, then do you require the customer to return your plates after the event? I've been considering getting those for doweled cakes, but not even considered it for stacked.

They arent very expensive so you add the cost of them to your cake price and dont worry about getting them back. I love them and wont use anything else. My cakes are always straight now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%