Cake To Big For Frig

Decorating By Eva2 Updated 2 May 2010 , 7:48pm by mamawrobin

Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a cake that is to big for the frig, I need to find a good recipe for a choc cake that can be left out. I have one that has sour cream in the mix, will that be ok to leave out? Help PLEASE. Thank youEva

9 replies
annegirlca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annegirlca Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 10

Sour cream has to be refrigerated! icon_smile.gif

annegirlca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annegirlca Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 10

In frosting........ but I don't know about cake. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 10

I NEVER refrigerate any of my cakes and they all have sour cream in them. It will be fine on the counter. thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by annegirlca

Sour cream has to be refrigerated! icon_smile.gif

NO it doesnt'. Not baked into a cake icon_wink.gif

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 10

my chocolate cake recipe uses sour cream and it doesnt need to be refrigerated once baked

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 10

Can you not take all the shelves out of your fridge? I've been known to do that and pack everything else that should be in the refrigerator in coolers until I can get the cake delivered. Now I have a "beer fridge" that's really a cake fridge for that purpose.

mamawrobin Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 10

Why would you refrigerate a cake unless it has a perishable filling? I'm with Leah_s, too many options for "no need to refrigerate" fillings. I'm just one that doesn't like putting a cake in the fridge.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 10

Robin, I live in the northwest. If I leave a cake out on the counter it becomes dry as a bone. I mean literally. If I leave out a cupcake, for example, it's like a hockey puck the next morning. A cake that hasn't been iced will be hard and crunchy on the edges. I maintain a better level of humidity for my cakes by keeping them in the fridge. I also like them chilled way down for when I transport them.

I think those of you who have atmospheric humidity can easily leave things out. There have been quite a few threads here about this very topic. It's the humidity level that seems to make the difference, and I DO agree that people are insanely paranoid about leaving things out and feeling the need (unnecessarily) to refrigerate them. Once sour cream is baked into a cake, it's stable. It's helpful to learn some baking chemistry.

mamawrobin Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 10

Ruth I know what ya mean. My son and daughter-in-law live in Alaska and my dil has the same problem. She's use to our Arkansas weather so she's never refrigerated a cake before. She says that she has to for the same reasons as you.

Yes the point I was trying to make is that it won't go "bad" if not refrigerated. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%