How Do I Keep My Fondant From Drying Out?

Decorating By amyfj1 Updated 18 Mar 2013 , 6:20pm by TexasNette

amyfj1 Posted 2 May 2010 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 7

How do I store my left over fondant to keep it from drying out? I have wrapped the lumps tightly in plastic wrap and then placed in zip lock bags. It still is drying out like rocks. I'm so frustrated. The lumps have a hard crust on it and the whole lump is just crumbly. I can't knead it to a soft consistency. I have microwaved the lumps and that works for a very short time but then it just becomes rock solid again. I"m so frustrated because I'm going to have to throw out about $20 worth of fondant. Any help is greatly apprecaited!

6 replies
Mug-a-Bug Posted 2 May 2010 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 7

Cover your 'lump' in crisco before bagging it. Then, double bag. HTH icon_lol.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 2 May 2010 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

Cover your 'lump' in crisco before bagging it. Then, double bag. HTH icon_lol.gif

This is what I do, too. Cover it with a healthy dose of shortening, then double wrap it in plastic wrap, put it in a ziplock bag, put it back into the bucket it came in (or a Tupperware), then put it in the refrigerator.

Can you tell I hate to waste fondant, too? icon_razz.gif

Majie Posted 2 May 2010 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 7

I think you err in storing "lumps" instead of kneading those lumps to become one big lump. This wil ensure that your fondant stays soft. Store in a zipbag then in another air tight container

amyfj1 Posted 2 May 2010 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks everyone! The lumps are due to having different colors. I also bought some prepackaged gum paste from Wilton. Have never opened it until last Saturday and it was hard as a rock too. I think I need to try making my own fondant next time.

bwydeli Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:36am
post #6 of 7

we vacuum seal ours and it keeps perfectly.

TexasNette Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 7

Well, you can't roll them all together if they are different colors---and I use one of those food savers which vacuums out the air. You can use a straw in a ziplock baggie just the same.  Place the straw in the corner and zip up the baggie, then keep drawing out the air and you remove the straw and close the zip lock all the way. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%