Glitter And Luster Dust

Decorating By genevieveyum Updated 6 May 2010 , 10:58am by ChoueiriCakeCo

genevieveyum Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 6

Am I doing something wrong? I can't seem to get the gold and silver effect I want using the dusts- do I just need to use more, or is there another product I need to get? Help- I was trying to do gilded edges on the pages of a book cake and aluminum foil- look on a cupcake wrapper.
Thanks!!!

5 replies
cakes47 Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 6

Hi ~ You need to use something with alcohol (lemon flavoring, vodka - dries/evaporates) to mix your
LUSTER dust with.
Start with a little bit of vodka, maybe a teaspoon full, in a litte bowl. Add to that, little by little
the LUSTER dust. Mix until you get a painting thickness. Too thin/watery it will take you many
coats, too thick & it will look goopy!!! You'll get the hang of it quickly. Good luck and please
post a picture of your cake!!! icon_smile.gif

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 6

I find that it helps to first color the fondant or gumpaste and then dust. For silver, I first color the fondant black, and for gold I color the fondant brown. This helps deepen the color of the dust without having to use too much.

cakebaker1957 Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoueiriCakeCo

I find that it helps to first color the fondant or gumpaste and then dust. For silver, I first color the fondant black, and for gold I color the fondant brown. This helps deepen the color of the dust without having to use too much.

Sorry to jump in icon_redface.gif , but i just posted about this same issue, If im making tree limbs going up the side of a cake would this be ok for me to do, the brown fondant and should it be light brown or dark brown.
Thanks

cheatize Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 6

I make gray fondant and then dust it with silver, not black. If black doesn't work for you, add some white fondant until you get gray and try it that way.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 6 May 2010 , 10:58am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Sorry to jump in icon_redface.gif , but i just posted about this same issue, If im making tree limbs going up the side of a cake would this be ok for me to do, the brown fondant and should it be light brown or dark brown.
Thanks

I've only used light brown, but I've noticed that the darker the brown is, the darker the gold looks. So it all depends on the look you're going for icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%