Sweaty Fondant

Decorating By makupwmn Updated 4 May 2010 , 12:52am by makupwmn

makupwmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makupwmn Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 6

So I cool my cakes after buttercream layer to get ready to cover in fondant. Once I place the fondant and get ready to decorate, it sweats! I live in Alabama and it is humid, but I am not sure if this is normal. Any tips?

5 replies
ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 6

If the cakes are cold when you cover them, condensation can form and cause the "sweaty fondant". You can either wait for it to dry and then decorate, or put a fan near it to help it dry faster.

Keeping the cake at room temperature will eliminate condensation completely.

makupwmn Posted 3 May 2010 , 2:17am
post #3 of 6

So I am new to fondant, but I was under the impression that it is best to cool the cake before covering...............well, I will try room temp next.....cannot continue with the cooling method....Thanks

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 3 May 2010 , 10:59am
post #4 of 6

There are ways to cool the cake and bring it back out without condensation forming, such as putting the cake in a box and sealing it. If you leave it in the sealed box as it comes to room temperature, the condensation will form on the box and not the cake.

But if there is nothing perishable in your cake then there's nothing wrong with leaving it at room temperature.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:19am
post #5 of 6

what fondant r u using??? I went to Puerto Rico to visit my mom and made MMF there... well with how hot it's there and the humidity.... I tell ya.... the MMF was sweating a lot and there was nothing I could do to chnge that... the cake was at room temp... so It wasn't the cake.... so I asked a few cakesters in PR.... and they don't use MMF at all... it doesn't work well in PR..... they have another recipe they use for their fondant.... so.... I don' tknow.... it might be that.... you should ask around in your area.... maybe there is an "area" trick that solves that problem.... good luck

makupwmn Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:52am
post #6 of 6

it is MMF. I am up for any new fondant recipes that are easier and better!! I have thought about buying satin ice products, but am concerned with the flavor. Any other suggestions? Love the box tip

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%