1St Wedding Cake Using Fresh Roses!! Help

Decorating By SOULLA13 Updated 26 May 2010 , 5:17pm by Roxybc

SOULLA13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SOULLA13 Posted 2 May 2010 , 8:21am
post #1 of 21

Hi everyone,

I have my first wedding cake using fresh roses booked and i was wondering what to use to stack them with. The cake itself is going to be 5 square tiers tall with roses in between each tier to look as if it is sitting on them. What i was wondering is should i out the roses into polysterene blocks as i have seen it done with wires into the roses and then put into the polysterene or should i use oasis and have it cut to size (i was thinking that with the water and the tray to catch the water this might be very heavy as oasis needs to be soaked. If anyone has any other suggestions i would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance

20 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 21

I just lay the flowers between the tiers, building them (laying them on top of each other) to fill the gap. No styrofoam or wet blocks .... roses are a pretty hardy flower, really (said this former 1991 Mrs. Rose Festival Queen, which required learning a LOT about roses! icon_biggrin.gif ); they won't wilt within minutes. I had a cake that sat outside in over 90 degree heat, and the cake was surrounded by fresh roses that looked just as nice at 7:00 pm as they had at 2:00 in the afternoon.

SOULLA13 Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:22am
post #3 of 21

but what did you use to separate the tiers? pillars? or something else?

indydebi Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:25am
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOULLA13

but what did you use to separate the tiers? pillars? or something else?

pillars.

simplehappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplehappy Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 21

I was just looking at my Martha Stewart Wedding Cakes book last night and there was instruction on how to do this. They separated the cakes with pillars too, then between the pillars there was oasis and a plastic saucer under it to contain the water. It looked really nice, of course they had about a million perfect roses- it is Martha after all!

Hope that helps!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 21

Yeah, back when I was green I tried that saucer and oasis thing. DON'T do it.

simplehappy Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:34pm
post #7 of 21

Leah, what happened? Did it leak? I imagine if I did it, it would leak and ruin the cake! What do you do now?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:37pm
post #8 of 21

It was heavy. I don't think it leaked exactly, but may have splashed a bit when the caterer removed it from the cake. After all, she would not have been expecting to run into a saucer of wet oasis in the middle of the cake.

I just stick the flowers into the airspace created by the taller SPS legs. No problem ever.

simplehappy Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:42pm
post #9 of 21

Thanks Leah, that is good to know! I have a love -hate relationship with Martha- I love a lot of her stuff but it doesn't always wok AND it would be easier if I had a staff doing everything I wanted!

SOULLA13 Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:35pm
post #10 of 21

wow thanks leah for putting me off doing the oasis thing!!! i really apprecaite that icon_smile.gif Im thinking to use polysterene blocks in bewteen each tier and feed the roses into it using floral wire which would be put into the roses first what does everyone think of this???

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 21

I think it seems unneccesary.......just lay the roses in there!

heycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heycake Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:30pm
post #12 of 21

The roses will fill the space just fine if you just stack them in there. It's so easy even I could do it as a serious newbie who had no business making the wedding cake that I did. icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 21

I did it for my own wedding cake 8 years ago and had NEVER touched a cake before!!! I didn't have a clue, just knew I wanted roses in there and didn't have $ to pay a florist and the cake guy refused to put anything "inedible" onto HIS cake.......so as soon as he left I shoved about 80 roses on the cake ! lol

SOULLA13 Posted 5 May 2010 , 7:39pm
post #14 of 21

do you have a photo of your wedding cake it would be great to see it?

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:13pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

..said this former 1991 Mrs. Rose Festival Queen...

LOL, there's just no end to your array of talents, is there?! icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:10pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOULLA13

do you have a photo of your wedding cake it would be great to see it?

No, I wish I did.......the only photo we have is of my DH and I leaning in together with our heads touching smiling w/ a blurred cake in the background! lol

It was very similar to this cake, only round and there were roses in between the layers......and YES ............I had the FOUNTAIN and I LOVED it! lol

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1417180

indydebi Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:12am
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

..said this former 1991 Mrs. Rose Festival Queen...

LOL, there's just no end to your array of talents, is there?! icon_lol.gif

Here's my official pageant photo. I was 32 years old:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000459187425&v=photos&ref=profile#!/photo.php?pid=64271&id=100000459187425

The chic who came in 2nd thought she was a sure winner. She was 4" taller, 5 years young and 15 lbs lighter. But you know what it means when you come in 2nd? icon_rolleyes.gif

It means YOU LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bwah-ha-ha-haaaaaaa!!!!

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:27am
post #18 of 21

Hahahahahahaha! You were a very pretty Mrs. Rose Festival Queen!

And now I will stop hijacking this thread... icon_rolleyes.gif

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:36am
post #19 of 21

back to the roses.... so you cut them, soak overnight, then how long are stems before you assemble on cake ? 1"... or long enough to almost meet the others to support each other?

then if sticking into the corner of the cake like that picture attached, those are in the water tubes, right?

been dying to learn more about fresh flowers on cakes. TIA

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:17pm
post #20 of 21

Need to bring this thread back up to the top - I am doing a cake for my sis wedding and not using roses but using spider and kermit mums. I need to assemble the cake the night before in the hall as i don't have time the day of (im in the wedding) so do you think the mums will wilt if i just lay them inbetween the tiers???????

My florist said to soak the oasis then wrap it in foil to prevent leakage (thats how she does toppers) i thought i could then just slide the flowers between the tiers. Does anyone think that would work?

TIA

Sara

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:17pm
post #21 of 21

My wedding cake was 5 tiers with pink roses in between. It held up very well all night, but I was a little dissapointed with the way the cake decorator set up the cake. He didn't push the roses in enough, so they were sticking out further than the cake tiers, so just make sure that tuck them in far enough. Overall I still loved my cake and the height the extra roses gave the cake. It was stunning, and all our guests agreed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%