M&m's

Decorating By shanney54 Updated 9 May 2010 , 6:12pm by SugarFrosted

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:12am
post #1 of 17

I'm doing a stadium cake in a few weeks and I had an idea. For the "fans" I'd like to use red and white M&M's, it's an Alabama cake. My questions is, do you think that the color will run? I know when it's in ice cream that it does. The reason I'm going to use them instead of sprinkles is because I'm planning on spelling out either happy birthday or roll tide w/ the "fans." Do you think this is a viable option or should i try something else? Thanks for any help! icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:17am
post #2 of 17

My hub is an alabama fan!!!!

I do not think they will run on the icing, unless its SUPER hot and humid and your cake sweats. But under normal circumstances I think it will work great.

Have fun!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:00am
post #3 of 17

that sounds like such a cool idea! Please let us know when you've posted the pic 'coz I really want to see this one!

awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:21am
post #4 of 17

I did a birthday cake where the sides were made up of hundred of M&M's. They did not run for me.Image

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 17

I did a Rupp Arena cake for my U.K. fan son, and used sprinkles for the people. I made fondant "signs" for the people to hold with the birthday message.

Here's a link:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1650571

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 17

poohsmomma, your cake is awesome!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks, CWIL

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:35pm
post #8 of 17

I did M&Ms on my son's birthday cake last year, as polka dots, attatched to buttercream with buttercream, and I did not have any problems with the color running.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 17

Here's a great one by lara3teach that I'd saved in my favorites:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1492405

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 17

I can definitely see why you would want to use M&M's. It would be super hard to pick just those colors out of a bottle of sprinkles...and you would have to, to be authentic 'cause red and white is all you see in the Alabama stands! icon_biggrin.gif

Roll Tide!

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:09pm
post #11 of 17

This wouldn't work for spelling the words out, but your local cake supply store should have sprinkles in individual colors if you want that look.

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #12 of 17

I used M&Ms for a cake about a year ago. I used them on the side of the cake for a pattern and to do the initials of the two people the cake was for. It turned out really cute and didn't run BUT the M&Ms did get a little chalky looking. I used IMBC and the cake had to be refrigerated. I think the cake was in the fridge overnight with the M&Ms in place. If you don't have to put this cake in the fridge you should be OK. Good luck!

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:16pm
post #13 of 17

That's a great idea - I'll bet it turns out really cute!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:18pm
post #14 of 17

just wanted to add that you can buy JUST red and white m&ms in the m&m minis too! In the bulk candy stores at malls

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 8 May 2010 , 11:07am
post #15 of 17

For some reason I haven't seen ANY of the replies until now! I am SO suprized to see everyone's feedback, thank you!

Kitagrl tell your hubby that I said roll tide! He sounds like a keeper! haha

indydebi I will definitely be posting some pics of his cake, I'll let you know. This is the first "major" cake that I'll be doing, so it may not be quite as awesome as most of the cakes I've seen on here.

kimblyd That's exactly why I didn't want to use sprinkles! I would drive myself crazy and not be able to spend as much time w/ my bf, seeing as I'd be doing it forever!

KHalstead I actually have bought two tubs of red and white M&M's from Wal*mart. They charge an arm and a leg for them, but that's only way that I could even buy white M&M's.

Thank you so much for everyone who posted a pic showing me that it could be done. And thank you to everyone who replied and gave me advice or to just wish me good luck. I am so thankful to have found this community! Everyday I get on here and learn more and more! Y'all are great teachers! Thank you again, I'll be back again soon w/ some more questions!!! icon_biggrin.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:06pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanney54

For some reason I haven't seen ANY of the replies until now! I am SO suprized to see everyone's feedback, thank you!

I've never understood why, but if you start a thread, you have to click "watch this topic" at the bottom of the page. Otherwise, you're not notified of replies. Yet, if you just reply to a thread, you do get notified without having to click that. Who knows?! icon_rolleyes.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 9 May 2010 , 6:12pm
post #17 of 17

I know you are doing a football stadium, but I just wanted to share another m&m cake, this one is a Valentine's Day wedding cake featured on Cake Wrecks Sunday Sweets:
http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/02/sunday-sweets-valentines-treats.html
Just gorgeous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%