Spotted Buttercream

Decorating By Dommers Updated 3 May 2010 , 11:00pm by Dommers

Dommers Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:45am
post #1 of 8

I have searched through forums about this and came up with only one and it didn't apply to me. So my question is why is my buttercream spotting? I used pink and purple americolor. I live in AZ so it was not humid, my buttercream was well mixed before we applied it. No one noticed thank goodness, but it was still upsetting to me.

7 replies
kjskid Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:56am
post #2 of 8

I don't know.. My green icing did this today, but I hadn't put it on the cake yet. It was Wilton kelly green, I just remixed it and the spots went away. Looks like mold, doesn't it?

Florimbio Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:05am
post #3 of 8

I had a problem w/ my wilton green gel too????

btaylor76 Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:38am
post #4 of 8

OOO OOOO...I may know the answer to this one. Did you use salt in your buttercream? This happened to me and it was because the salt crystals didn't fully dissolve. I started putting my salt in warm liquid and haven't had this happen since.....AND it was Wilton green.....

Geechigirl Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:05pm
post #5 of 8

That use to happen to me in the past also. I no longer add salt to my icing and I don't see the spots anymore. I also notices that it happened more with the purple icing.

Dommers Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:15am
post #6 of 8

Nope, no salt in my buttercream...

TexasSugar Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 8

It's the water. icon_smile.gif At least that is my opinion. Everyone asks the salt question first, then blames it on lumps of powder sugar or crisco.

I think there are different chemicals or minerals in the water that cause a reaction. It typically happens in purple (blue spots) and pink and blue (white spots).

You can try using bottled water or milk or some other liquid. You can also make your icing ahead of time. Once the icing spots, stir it up and you are good to go. It doesn't respot.

Dommers Posted 3 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks! I will try that next!

Quote by @%username% on %date%