Emergency!!! Cut Cake Round A Little Too Short...help

Decorating By KerrieD Updated 3 May 2010 , 4:23am by mamawrobin

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:23am
post #1 of 10

I'm doing my cake now and I didn't leave enough room for the icing and the fondant. I tried to move the filled and iced cake onto a larger round but it started to crack so I stopped. So, I just put the larger cake round under the cake on the small cake round (so now there are 2 rounds there). Can I use the 2 bases or do I nned to bake some new cakes? icon_cry.gif

9 replies
iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:41am
post #2 of 10

If you are talking about the cardboard circle, then yes, you can just put a larger one underneath the too small one, sticking them together with corn syrup, royal icing or a smear of butter-cream.

HTH

icon_smile.gif I'm curious, tho...why did you cut it to begin with?

KerrieD Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:18am
post #3 of 10

I did put some buttercream between the 2 cardboards.
I cut it because I wanted very little excess for the top tier. Guess I learned my lesson.
Thanks for your help.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:21am
post #4 of 10

Yep...each mistake is a learning experience thumbs_up.gif .

Hope the remainder of this cake goes as smooth as silk!

KerrieD Posted 2 May 2010 , 4:18am
post #5 of 10

Not really liking the new fondant I'm using. Its dry. Decorations are coming out ok. I'll post a picture probably tomorrow after the christening.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 May 2010 , 5:49am
post #6 of 10

Just a little info for you. If you're doing a 6 inch cake use a 6 inch cakeboard and DON'T trim the cakeboard to fit your cake. You'll have just enough board for your icing and fondant. Same is true for 8 inch, 10 inch...ya catch what I'm saying. So many times I see on cc that people will tell others to cut their boards to fit the cake exactly. Not what ya need to do as you found out with your cake.

Good luck. Hope your cake turns out great. thumbs_up.gif

KerrieD Posted 3 May 2010 , 12:57am
post #7 of 10

Hey Mamawrobin,
Lesson learned! I cut the first board to the size of the pan exactly. There was no room for icing and fondant. With the second board under the first one, all was saved! Thought I'd have to bake another cake! Then I had an issue with the dragees (my first time using them). I attached them with buttercream and I kept bumping them off, so I took them all off and re did them with clear piping gel. Seemed ok. I wrapped the cake in plastic to make the fondant softer. When I got up in the morning, about half the dragges fell off!!! I made some RI and reattached them again. What should I have used? Maybe if I didn't wrap the cake, they wouldn't have fallen off.
I must give credit to berni2611 for inspiring me from her beautiful cake.

KerrieD Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:09am
post #8 of 10

Can't upload a picture here. I'll have to try to put it somewhere else and link it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:23am
post #9 of 10

Yeah, don't wrap the cake.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:23am
post #10 of 10

Yeah..what Leah said. I never wrap my decorated cakes thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%