Damask Effect Without The Sentcil?

Decorating By rcolson13 Updated 8 May 2010 , 11:51am by rcolson13

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 1 May 2010 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 8

Like most CCers, I think Damask cakes are beautiful! I would like to do one, but the stencils seem to be out of my budget. Is there a way to get the same effect, but spend less money or use basic tools?

Thanks!

7 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 May 2010 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 8

The cutters are also expensive. One great way is to use a combination of existing cutters and maybe tweaking them out. You can also cut print a template online and use them as a guide when you cut them individually.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 1 May 2010 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 8

I have purchased some cool stencils at my local michaels and joanns. They are super cheap and look really nice. I think they run about $6-7 and if you use a coupon it is even better icon_smile.gif I bought a 2 pack stencil at Michaels...these are the cakes I made using them....they are not the best looking cakes but at least you get an idea:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1510784

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1659794

rcolson13 Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the advice! I thought about cutting them out, but I'm worried about placing the smaller pieces correctly so the image looks mirror. I also only have circle cutters so far (hobby baker that's also a college student = noooo money lol)

Normita - So I can use any stencils I can find in Hobby Lobby or Michaels on my cake? I love your present cake by the way! It looks great

rcolson13 Posted 2 May 2010 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 8

I looked at Michael's today, but they only had decor stencils that looked to large to work on a cake (the Damask design was 9 inches by 18 inches). Planning on checking Hobby Lobby tomorrow

Normita Posted 2 May 2010 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 8

I do use them....and I have heard that others do too. I have seen those super large stencils both at Michaels and Joann. The stencils that I have are a 2 pack blue stencils. I am surprised that your local Michaels does not carry them. I am going to take a picture of them if I can and post them so you can see what I am talking about. Those stencils are usually in the scultping isle etc. I wouldnt give up....keep on looking icon_smile.gif

Normita Posted 8 May 2010 , 6:29am
post #7 of 8

Rcolson13....have you found the stencils at your local Hobby Lobby??

I ended up going to Michaels and took a picture of the stencil 2 pack...it was located in the sculpting isle....they were under $4.

Pm me with your email if you are interested in seeing what they looked like....I couldnt upload the picture on here.

rcolson13 Posted 8 May 2010 , 11:51am
post #8 of 8

Thank you for checking that out! I did find cheap stencils that would work for cakes. Bought one that looked promising, but it turned out to be a wee bit too tall for a regular cake tier - so I'll probably return it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%