Someone Ratted Me Out To The Dept Of Agriculture

Lounge By rosiecast Updated 11 May 2010 , 5:24am by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 1 May 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 19

And I'm not a business. lol Sooo, I make cakes for friends, for family. I'll bake a cake for my friend's children as their birthday gift, and I post pics on my facebook page.
My MIL has requested me as a friend and I refuse to let her be my friend (she's an evil witch). Last week, she was asking my husband if I still bake cakes, etc and DH told her that yes, that I do it as gifts, etc and that I'm now a WMI at Michaels.
Well, yesterday I got a phone call from the Dept. of Agriculture- I wasn't here so they left a message asking me to call them back re: some complaint.

What a waste to time. I wonder if they'll have to come to my house to check I'm NOT a business. Insanity is that woman's middle name.

18 replies
marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 1 May 2010 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 19

Monster-in-laws, should all be drowned at birth lol

rosiecast Posted 1 May 2010 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 19

AnneMarie- lol And the funny thing is that up to my DH ALL of my MIL LOVED me. even now they still mention me and I exchange x-mas cards with a couple of them. LOL

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 1 May 2010 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 19

Keep us posted as to what the Dept of Ag says when you call them back. I feel so bad for you.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 May 2010 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

AnneMarie- lol And the funny thing is that up to my DH ALL of my MIL LOVED me. even now they still mention me and I exchange x-mas cards with a couple of them. LOL

Me too icon_lol.gif I've been very fortunate.

To the op. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this. Some people I just don't understand.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 1 May 2010 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 19

well.... now the person will look like a fool for "reporting" when there was NOTHING to report.... hope this all ends soon and without too much hassle for you sweetie...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:40am
post #7 of 19

(big sigh!) making all of us GOOD mothers-in-law look bad just becuase we all have the same MIL title!! icon_cry.gif

rosiecast Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:28am
post #8 of 19

Thanks everyone. I do hope they don't make me jump thru hoops to prove I am not nor have I ever been a business.

Debi- I know not all MILs are monsters in law, but mine is a witch with no broom.

marknelliesmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknelliesmum Posted 2 May 2010 , 2:26am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

Debi- I know not all MILs are monsters in law, but mine is a witch with no broom.

well no wonder shes nasty if she hasn't even got a broom - give the poor woman a break it must be difficult trying to make a cauldron fly icon_lol.gif

Indy - M also stands for marvellous and magnigficent = AIL (angel inlaw)

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 19

Well, your in upstate NY, You do know that the department of Ag will license you. If you have no zoning restrictions, and if you don't have animals, why not get your cert to be a home processor. That would really piss your MIL off icon_smile.gif

rosiecast Posted 3 May 2010 , 4:43pm
post #11 of 19

AnneMarie- that's true. Poor woman. lol

Peg- I know I'm actually going to ask how hard it'll be. Even if I only make 2 cakes a year, just knowing she won't get me in trouble will really pi$$ her off.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:26pm
post #12 of 19

its not hard at all if you are not zoned against it. Check with your local zoning. I know the only major thing other then the zoning is your water, if you are on well water you have to have it tested if you have town water your good to go. You can't use any perishable fillings and you can't use milk in your icing. The law states loosely what can be done and decorated cakes really isn't in it. But non hazardous baked goods are allowed. Cream pies aren't allowed. And selling directly to the public except at farmers markets isn't allowed. Or at least that was the rules when i checked it out about 10 years ago.

Good luck to you.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:57pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Well, your in upstate NY, You do know that the department of Ag will license you. If you have no zoning restrictions, and if you don't have animals, why not get your cert to be a home processor. That would really piss your MIL off icon_smile.gif

First off I do believe that if you haven't registered as a business and take no money for your cake offerings, then the evil MIL has no leg to stand on. You are free to gift cakes all you want. And I agree, she does make us good MILs look bad. I had to deal with preconceived MIL issues with my first DIL for about 2 years before she finally gave up on the stereotype.

And I live in NY. Now it does vary by county. But I have yet to hear of any county that will let you work from your home with just a permit. So far with the research I have done with every surrounding county by me (Monroe) we all have to have a separate commercial kitchen to work from our home. This means I won't be starting any cake business any time soon, or far either. It'll just have to remain a hobby - just like yours. Too bad your MIL doesn't get what a hobby is.

Hmmmmm....I sent an extra cake with my DH to work today. I wonder if I'm going to get a call from the dept. of Agriculture. icon_rolleyes.gif

BTW, here in Monroe and it may be true for your county too I hear they are transferring that responsibility over to the board of health. It hasn't officially been done yet. But the guy I talked to was all to happy to pass me on to another person, who passed me on to another, who finally answered my questions.

Good luck.

rosiecast Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:38am
post #14 of 19

Thanks Linda for the information. I have no idea what the requirements are here in Westchester County. If they have teh separate kitchen then it won't be happening any time soon. lol

Peg- thanks for all the info. I'll definitely look into it. The guy from the Dept of agriculture hasn't called me back.

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:50pm
post #15 of 19

Do people really have time to chase cake bakers? Give me a break. I wish you all the best, and let us know any updates. icon_sad.gif

rosiecast Posted 5 May 2010 , 11:16pm
post #16 of 19

Hi!! So I finally got a hold of the inspector and he gave me a rundown of what I need to be able to bake form home. Well, I can't bake to clients only to a company or at a farmer's market and the cakes can't have any fillings or frosting- basically pound cakes. LOL I'll go thru the motion of calling the zoning board and find out if I qualify, but I don't see this happening. Too many restrictions not just not to sell directly to clients but I mean NO buttercream?- heck no. lol

Thanks everyone for the support and the ideas,

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:29am
post #17 of 19

Soooo can you still bake cakes for family and friends as gifts or just because you want to and not charge?

rosiecast Posted 6 May 2010 , 2:01pm
post #18 of 19

Peridot, I'll keep on baking for my family and friends. I'm planning my DD's 3rd birthday party right now. I want to make a wedge cake in a Hello Kitty theme.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:24am
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecerator

Do people really have time to chase cake bakers? Give me a break. I wish you all the best, and let us know any updates. icon_sad.gif

I don't know about everywhere else...but they do around here. There's one baker turning everyone in that she can find. Health Dept is having to contact all of them because this lady made a complaint. Thing is, this lady is working in a residential area of the city that isnt' zoned commercial. She not only does cakes, she caters, and does flowers. Just wonder how she gets to "blow the whistle" on others, when I don't think she's legal herself!
This mess about turning people in who make cakes as a hobby, just to be evil makes me mad......so sorry this happened to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%