Forming Fondant Flower Cut Outs

Decorating By BigRed500 Updated 2 May 2010 , 6:20am by BigRed500

BigRed500 Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 18

I'm making cupcakes with a fondant flower on top. How do I form the flower so it doesn't lie flat...use a ball tool, let it dry in some sort of former? How far in advance should I make them? Here is the pic I found for inspiration (by senel on CC) Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Lisa
LL

17 replies
glow0369 Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 18

You really do need a form for the flowers to dry in anything but flat. You really do not need to invest in bought formers. I use tiny vases to set flower in. Use a small dixie cup to make flowers petals fall back. All flowers do not face up. Get creative..
good luck

glow0369 Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 18

Sorry, I meant the bottom of a small dixie cup...

mbark Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 18

egg containers work well too

BigRed500 Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks for the suggestions. I saw a mini round ice cube tray that I thought might work for small flowers, but I'll have to experiment if they sticke! How long do the flowers need to stay in the formers to dry?

cathyscakes Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 18

Tin foil works, just shape it the way you want.

Texas_Rose Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 18

Whatever you use for a former, dust it with cornstarch so the pieces don't stick.

Mine usually need to dry overnight to hold their shape. My favorite formers are a set of silicone mini-muffin pans that I got at Ross for $2. I would never want to bake in them, but they're ideal for flowers and because they're flexible it's easy to pop out a stuck flower.

BigRed500 Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 18

What great ideas! Thank you! Will the flowers dry with using only fondant, or should I do a mix of fondant and gumpaste or add tylose? Sorry for the questions, I don't usually use fondant. Also, I was going to make my own MMF, is there any recipe that anyone can recommend? Thanks again!

sweetiesbykim Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 18

I bought 10 white plastic craft/paint palettes for $.99 each a few years ago to form my quick cutter flowers. By the time I've filled a few trays/palettes with flowers, the first ones are dry enough to hold their shape and remove.

I also use them to separate very small colors of flowers when I'm placing them on cakes, and I mix luster and vodka in them, too! Lots of uses!! HTH! icon_smile.gif

sweetiesbykim Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed500

What great ideas! Thank you! Will the flowers dry with using only fondant, or should I do a mix of fondant and gumpaste or add tylose? Sorry for the questions, I don't usually use fondant. Also, I was going to make my own MMF, is there any recipe that anyone can recommend? Thanks again!

I'd say it depends on how thick you roll your fondant. I roll mine on the thinner side so they dry while I'm still cutting more out when I'm in "mass production mode". I use straight fondant. If you are making thicker flowers, live in a humid environment, or adding several layers to a flower, you can just mix in a little tylose to existing fondant -then the color will match other straight fondant items or covering on your cake. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 18

Fondant will dry, even with humidity. The longest it's ever taken my fondant flowers to dry is overnight, even thicker flowers. Gumpaste will dry a lot faster, but unless you're in a hurry you can manage without it.

BigRed500 Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #12 of 18

Thank you! I really appreciate the time being taken to help with my questions! Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

Thanks again,
Lisa

Rusti Posted 1 May 2010 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 18

I use the very large bubble wrap and lay the flowers between and over the bubbles. Works as a very good former.

stampinron Posted 1 May 2010 , 10:10pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusti

I use the very large bubble wrap and lay the flowers between and over the bubbles. Works as a very good former.

Ditto. Easily cleans up too.

endymion Posted 1 May 2010 , 10:22pm
post #15 of 18

Love the bubble wrap idea!!! Someone else had suggested a devilled egg tray, which is inexpensive and works well, but bubble wrap seems even better. Is it food safe, or do you line it with saran wrap?

multilayered Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:44am
post #16 of 18

I cut paper towel rolls in half longways and use those to form my flowers, it always works for meicon_smile.gif

momba5 Posted 2 May 2010 , 5:48am
post #17 of 18

i like the plastic apple containers that costco packages their apples in. They are great for larger flowers.

BigRed500 Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:20am
post #18 of 18

Great ideas! Thanks very much for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%