Forming Fondant Flower Cut Outs

Decorating By BigRed500 Updated 2 May 2010 , 6:20am by BigRed500

BigRed500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigRed500 Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 18

I'm making cupcakes with a fondant flower on top. How do I form the flower so it doesn't lie flat...use a ball tool, let it dry in some sort of former? How far in advance should I make them? Here is the pic I found for inspiration (by senel on CC) Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Lisa
LL

17 replies
glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 18

You really do need a form for the flowers to dry in anything but flat. You really do not need to invest in bought formers. I use tiny vases to set flower in. Use a small dixie cup to make flowers petals fall back. All flowers do not face up. Get creative..
good luck

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 18

Sorry, I meant the bottom of a small dixie cup...

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 18

egg containers work well too

BigRed500 Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks for the suggestions. I saw a mini round ice cube tray that I thought might work for small flowers, but I'll have to experiment if they sticke! How long do the flowers need to stay in the formers to dry?

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 18

Tin foil works, just shape it the way you want.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 18

Whatever you use for a former, dust it with cornstarch so the pieces don't stick.

Mine usually need to dry overnight to hold their shape. My favorite formers are a set of silicone mini-muffin pans that I got at Ross for $2. I would never want to bake in them, but they're ideal for flowers and because they're flexible it's easy to pop out a stuck flower.

BigRed500 Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 18

What great ideas! Thank you! Will the flowers dry with using only fondant, or should I do a mix of fondant and gumpaste or add tylose? Sorry for the questions, I don't usually use fondant. Also, I was going to make my own MMF, is there any recipe that anyone can recommend? Thanks again!

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 18

I bought 10 white plastic craft/paint palettes for $.99 each a few years ago to form my quick cutter flowers. By the time I've filled a few trays/palettes with flowers, the first ones are dry enough to hold their shape and remove.

I also use them to separate very small colors of flowers when I'm placing them on cakes, and I mix luster and vodka in them, too! Lots of uses!! HTH! icon_smile.gif

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed500

What great ideas! Thank you! Will the flowers dry with using only fondant, or should I do a mix of fondant and gumpaste or add tylose? Sorry for the questions, I don't usually use fondant. Also, I was going to make my own MMF, is there any recipe that anyone can recommend? Thanks again!

I'd say it depends on how thick you roll your fondant. I roll mine on the thinner side so they dry while I'm still cutting more out when I'm in "mass production mode". I use straight fondant. If you are making thicker flowers, live in a humid environment, or adding several layers to a flower, you can just mix in a little tylose to existing fondant -then the color will match other straight fondant items or covering on your cake. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 18

Fondant will dry, even with humidity. The longest it's ever taken my fondant flowers to dry is overnight, even thicker flowers. Gumpaste will dry a lot faster, but unless you're in a hurry you can manage without it.

BigRed500 Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #12 of 18

Thank you! I really appreciate the time being taken to help with my questions! Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

Thanks again,
Lisa

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 1 May 2010 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 18

I use the very large bubble wrap and lay the flowers between and over the bubbles. Works as a very good former.

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 1 May 2010 , 10:10pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusti

I use the very large bubble wrap and lay the flowers between and over the bubbles. Works as a very good former.

Ditto. Easily cleans up too.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 1 May 2010 , 10:22pm
post #15 of 18

Love the bubble wrap idea!!! Someone else had suggested a devilled egg tray, which is inexpensive and works well, but bubble wrap seems even better. Is it food safe, or do you line it with saran wrap?

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:44am
post #16 of 18

I cut paper towel rolls in half longways and use those to form my flowers, it always works for meicon_smile.gif

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 2 May 2010 , 5:48am
post #17 of 18

i like the plastic apple containers that costco packages their apples in. They are great for larger flowers.

BigRed500 Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:20am
post #18 of 18

Great ideas! Thanks very much for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%