Edible Image Splotches..can Someone Tell Me Why?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 3 May 2010 , 1:11am by icingimages

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 9

I printed off this edible image for a puck cake I was doing for a customer.As you can see in the picture it has purple splotches that won't go away and I smoothed it completely...I used piping gel thinned down on the back to adhere it.I ended up ripping it off and doing it wih icing but I am a little annoyed... icon_mad.gif

Can someone explain why this happened...are you not supposed to put it on colored icing?

Laurel icon_wink.gif

8 replies
tiggy2 Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 9

Looks like it wasn't smoothed down and has air bubbles under it. I've never used piping gel just a ver fine mist of water.

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 9

I did smooth it out..It is almost like the base color (Purple) is separating from the black icing.

tiggy2 Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 9

If it's seperating it isn't stuck to the icing well enough. It should meld into the icing and it needs moisture to do that.

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 9

Hmmm..Okay...I used piping gel with water added...it was quite runny..Then I painted it on the back of the image and flipped it over and on...What should I have done?

tiggy2 Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 9

If you're using BC spray a fine mist of water on top of the cake. If it's fondant use a damp paper towel and wipt it across the top.

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 9

I guess I will have to try it again...I don't use a crusting BC ..I use thw WBH recipe and if you touch it...it smears...I guess it is just trial and error but I am mad that I wasted a EI paper...

Thanks Tiggy!!! thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Posted 2 May 2010 , 8:19am
post #8 of 9

If you aren't using a crusting bc you shouldn't need anything to adhere it.

icingimages Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:11am
post #9 of 9

I agree with Tiggy....moisture makes it stick!

Quote by @%username% on %date%