Fondant ?

Decorating By Necey Updated 2 May 2010 , 7:06am by Ballymena

Necey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Necey Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 4

Can someone tell me a couple things about fondant ? I have a bride who has ordered 150 mini wedding cakes, as favors for her guests. I have 2 questions.
1. Will fondant wilt, fade or become soft/tacky in the July heat ?
2. If I put each cake in an individule see- thru plastic box, will the fondant change texture or flavor because of the Summer heat ?

If anyone knows the answers to these questions it would be greatly appreciated if you would share them with me. icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 4

Fondant will stand up the best in heat, using ganache under it instead of BC will help it a lot. Boxes shouldn't hurt unless you have them refrigerated and take them into the heat, condensation will then be inevitable and make the fondant wet.
Have you done mini cakes before, in case you haven't they are very time consuming and therefore you need to charge accordingly.

Necey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Necey Posted 1 May 2010 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much ballymena for your answer. I haven't made the mini wedding cakes before and have decided to do this order as my first. The bride & groom are aware of the extra cost and how much more time consuming it will be. I am told by the bride that 'someone ' told her they will do 4" high, 3" wide mini cakes for her, for $4 each. I told her they would be considerably more than that for half that size. She wants them covered in fondant, fondant ribbon around bottom, gumpaste flowers on top, and dots & swirls. That's four different colors by the time I'm done. She said her budget only allows for $2 for each mini cake !
I am awaiting her final answer. icon_smile.gif

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:06am
post #4 of 4

For $2 she gets simple cupcakes, maybe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%