Carmel Flavored Frosting

Decorating By HIPrincess Updated 1 May 2010 , 7:34pm by lisamenz

HIPrincess Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 8

Any suggestions on what to do to flavor frosting carmel flavoring other than Lorann oil or Coffee creamer?

7 replies
yummycupcake Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 8

Try buying cajeta (mexican caramel or dulce de leche). It comes in a plastic or glass container and you can find it at any mexican store. It taste better that caramel. The ratio is about 1/2 cup cajeta for 3 cups of buttercream. (you can add more if you want). It will change the color because it is brown but you can use it for filling your cake.

HIPrincess Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 8

THanks yummycupcake. I am coloring the frosting blue. IS this product light brown? Could I get away with using it for the frosting if I am going blue?

frankdiabetes Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 8

There's a recipe for caramel frosting in the Cake Mix Doctor that's pretty good.

1 stick butter
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Cook, stirring, the butter and brown sugars over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 2 minutes. Add milk, stir, and let the mixture return to a boil, then remove the pan from heat. Add about 1 1/4 cups of the confectioners' sugar and the vanilla. Beat with a wooden spoon or whisk until frosting is smooth. Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, but not so much that it thickens and hardens. Use the frosting while it is still warm.

Edit: I see that you need the frosting to be blue so this probably will not work.

lisamenz Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 8

Nestle's has a great one too in the can, Ducle de lece flavor. You can find it in Winn Dixie or Spanish type store. Its delicious. My clients raved over it.

HIPrincess Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 8

thanks for the recipe and tips, they all sound yummy.

HIPrincess Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 8

lisamenz does that come in a can? Kind of like sweetened condensed milk? Where do you find that in the grocery store?

lisamenz Posted 1 May 2010 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 8

Yes its in a small can, It was in the chocolate aisle I believe here where I live. At Winn Dixie , just ask if they have it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%