Ace Of Cakes

Decorating By aussiecook Updated 2 May 2010 , 6:35am by glendaleAZ

aussiecook Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 6

i've been watching Ace of Cakes on TV.
I noticed a lot of their cakes aren't all cake

just wanted to know what other people do, do they use wood, frames etc.

5 replies
jayne1873 Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 6

Hehe I noticed that as well when I first started watching it I was like 'wheres the cake?'
I have never progressed to anything remotely like what they do so no wood, frames etc here

JGMB Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 6

I'm just a hobbyist, but when I watch those shows, I always tell my husband that I NEVER want to get to the point where I have to get out power tools to craft wood, pipes, etc. I just like to bake and decorate, not construct!!

dalis4joe Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 6

I feel they are just getting out of hand... I mean.... CAKE_BOSS a LIFE SIZE CAR CAKE!!! then A LIFE SIZE BIKE!!!!!?????? COME ON!!! it's cake people....

FrostedFantasies Posted 1 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 6

I think they do amazing work, and IMHO, I don't think there's anything wrong with continuing to push your creative limits.
I'm somewhat of a hobbyist too, but this week I made a cake which required a plywood base and one-inch dowel about 16 inches tall. I would never have done that even three months ago, but I think it's important we all learn and grow.
FWIW I loved the full-size motorcycle. icon_lol.gif

glendaleAZ Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:35am
post #6 of 6

FrostedFantasies I have to agree!

Two weeks ago, first time doing it, I carved a Styrofoam circle into a lower part of a chin and neck for my Zombi Cake. I also purchased a new propane torch, so I could make a skeleton out of copper piping for my two chocolate clay zombies. I did burn a small section of my kitchen cabinet, but hey, it needs to be replaced anyways. LOL.

I also did my first stenciling on a cake, and then made a stacked wood base for the cake to sit on. I used my new circular saw, and well it wasnt perfect, but next time Ill do better. The best thing is that as I learn these new skills Im able to take my talent in new directions, and thats what keeps me from getting board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%