Red Fondant

Decorating By Nobuko Updated 1 May 2010 , 8:33am by nadia0411

Nobuko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nobuko Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:29am
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about RED fondant. I've tried Americolor and Wilton Xmas Red color with MMF. Fondant never gets dark RED enough... It's more like deep pink color. Is there any trick I can do to get REAL RED color??? I'd appreciate if someone would give me an advice.

6 replies
CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:40am
post #2 of 7

Do you add the color while melting the MM?

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:48am
post #3 of 7

It takes A LOT of dye to make a deep red, purple or black. It also creates a bad taste. I purchase mine pre dyed from Satin ICE via Global Sugar Art. Tastes great & the color is perfect.

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:49am
post #4 of 7

try making the fondant a dark pink and then start adding your red I like to just to buy it and save the time.

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:57am
post #5 of 7

never been successful coloring fondant a nice red...unless airbrushed....but coloring marzipan red is a breeze icon_smile.gif

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:58am
post #6 of 7

I also agree with online_annie...I buy my red and black fondant premade from Satin Ice. In my opinion it is just better to buy them then to struggle to get that perfect red or black icon_smile.gif

nadia0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadia0411 Posted 1 May 2010 , 8:33am
post #7 of 7

hi,
i recently did a guitar cake, u can check my photos, and it was for a boy and he wanted it red, so it HAD to be red, no pinks. I have following tips:
1. If u make ur own fondant, try adding color while mixing.
2. I use a powder strawberry flavored local food color which works like a charm, 2 quantities of MFF requires 1/2 tsp of it and few drops of red-red. Not only it looks good but also tastes lot better.
3. I have heard using pink at first but it never worked for me, i always ended up in dark pink.
HTH
Nadia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%