I Figured It Out... Buckeye Baked Inside A Cupcake!

Baking By MariaK38 Updated 1 May 2010 , 6:22pm by JGMB

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:00am
post #1 of 7

Finally, thanks to all of your tips, I've baked a buckeye inside of a cupcake! I used a scratch recipe instead of a box mix and plopped the buckeye on top right before I put it in the oven, and it came out just the way I wanted it to. I topped it with twisted chocolate and whipped peanut butter buttercream icings. Man, is it good!
I'm trying to add a picture of it... if it doesn't show up, you can see it on my website, www.mariasbuckeyesfavors.com under Cupcakes!

Thanks for the help!

Maria
LL
LL

6 replies
Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:03am
post #2 of 7

I NEED the recipe if you are willing to share! My hubby must have these. They look fantastic, yeah you icon_smile.gif

MariaK38 Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:09am
post #3 of 7

I have the chocolate cake recipe. It was a tad dry, but next time maybe I'll cook it a little less or cut down on the flour a tad.

Here it is... I think I got it from this website, actually!

Chocolate Cupcakes:
1/2 cup (50 grams) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 cup (240 ml) boiling hot water
1 1/3 cups (175 grams) all purposeflour
2 teaspoonsbaking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsaltedbutter, room temperature
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanillaextract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly butter, or line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.
In a small bowl stir until smooth the boiling hot water and the cocoa powder. Let cool to room temperature.
In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, andsalt.
Then in the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat only until incorporated. Then add the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
Fill each muffin cup two-thirds full with batter and bake for about 16-20 minutes or until risen, springy to the touch, and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, frost with icing. You can either spread the frosting on the cupcakes with a small spatula or if piping, use a large Wilton 1M open star tip to make lovely swirls.

I hope you don't mind, but I don't give out my buckeye recipe because I sell them. I'm sure you can find a good one online. One tip, always use butter, not margarine.

Bye! Maria

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:16am
post #4 of 7

Thank you icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 7

First off - that is one gorgeous cupcake! I love the chocolate/white swirl frosting on top. Is it a buttercream? And what kind? I don't need the recipe, I already have way to many to test.

And you have opened up a whole pandora's box of what I will now try to get into the middle of a cupcake.

Now a buckeye is made with peanuts, because I don't see whole peanuts in the photo. Do I have that right? I couldn't have melted the peanuts, did they come off?

About the cupcake recipe. I made chocolate cupcakes using a recipe from Confetti Cakes for kids. I wrote about in the cupcake specific recipe post. The recipe calls to add the coffee (liquid) in the end. The first time I did it I did exactly as the recipe stated. They came out nice and moist. But because I can't leave well enough alone, I decided to mix the cocoa with the coffee and add with the other liquids and not add it to the end. They came out dry. So for whatever reason when you put that liquid in matters. I cannot figure out why and an inquiry here came up empty. So you can tweek the recipe to add it to the end, but seeing how it is the only liquid it will not work, or you can add more liquid. OR you can just keep trying with other recipes until you find one you like. After all there is about a gazillion out there. icon_biggrin.gif But I think the lack of a liquid like milk, or sour cream may also be contributing to the dryness factor. That type of liquid does import more fat than just the 1/2 stick of butter called for in the recipe.
HTH. Thanks for sharing.
I give it two thumbs up! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

MariaK38 Posted 1 May 2010 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 7

thank you, Linda!
the cupcakes are topped with a twist of chocolate buttercream and a whipped peanut butter buttercream. A buckeye is made with smooth peanut butter, at least mine are, and dipped in chocolate. I've seen some recipes with crunchy peanut butter, rice krispies, and graham cracker crumbs added. Mine are more simple and more of a traditional Ohio buckeye.
I'm still playing around with the cake recipe to alleviate the dryness... I'll get it eventually!
I love experimenting!

Maria

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 1 May 2010 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 7

Oh, Maria, now you have me salivating -- I was Ohio born and bred, so I think the love of buckeyes is in my genes! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%