Cake Decorating Annoyances

Decorating By ladycakes85 Updated 1 May 2010 , 4:53pm by cheatize

ladycakes85 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 17

So. Just tossing a fun question out there to see what irks you all when you're busy in "cake mode".

I love my husband to death, but when he keeps popping into the kitchen to see what i'm doing and how my cake is coming, it drives me nuts! I don't like him looking over my shoulder. And then he'll say things like, "Anything I can do to help?" icon_smile.gif Usually, I tell him the biggest help is for him to go lock himself in the den and play his computer games and leave me alone.

He once said he should leave the house whenever I'm doing a cake becuase he can see I get stressed. Haha icon_razz.gificon_smile.gif

16 replies
Sherry1030 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 17

I love my kids to death, but I get annoyed when they repeatedly ask 'Can I have the bowl now?' 'Can I lick the spoon?' and 'Can I eat these cake scraps?' 'Can I just have one of the cupcakes? Do you need them all?' 'Can I decorate that part?', and so on and so on!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:53am
post #3 of 17

I work at a grocery store bakery where the wall infront of me and the rest of the grocery store is short enough that I can look over it and can definitely talk over it. Whenever I'm busy (it's never when I'm caught up and ahead!) someone will say "Can I ask you a real quick question?" I say "Yeah! What's up?" and I continue whatever it is I'm working on. They kinda hesitate and look around then say "Can you come over here?"

*Sigh*

Obviously you can hear me, obviously I can her you, and you said it was only a "real quick question"! Then I go around and have to stand with them while they hum and haw over what color boarder little Suzy should have on her first birthday cake. Because she can really tell the difference between fuschia and magenta.

*Sigh*

FlourPots Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:05am
post #4 of 17

What irks me is when I'm messing with fondant in particular, I don't like to touch anything else...so I never answer the phone...but inevitably I'll hear my mom's voice - she doesn't leave a message like everyone else - she says, "Hello, Hello...can you pick up...I have to talk to you"...
so I run to wash my hands and pick up, or call her right back if she has already hung up...and of course it's NEVER anything important!!

Lately I've been calling when I'm preparing to work w/ fondant to ask if there's anything she needs to tell me before I begin icon_lol.gif .

karateka Posted 1 May 2010 , 10:16am
post #5 of 17

I love my kids, and I love that they want to talk to me, but it really annoys if they are in my shop walking around, tossing their keychain around or poking each other while I'm working on a cake! Get out until I'm finished!

Caths_Cakes Posted 1 May 2010 , 10:46am
post #6 of 17

For me its my mom, always coming into the kitchen and offering 'advice and help' I apreciate it, but it grinds me down some days when says ' Well, i think it would of looked better had you done this, Or I would of done it this way etc . . .

and i feel a 3 year old tantrum coming on where i want to say . ITS MY CAKE! IL DO IT MYY WAY! By all means, watch me, annoy me, eat the scraps, Heyy, feel free to wash the dishes and clean up please . .just stop telling your granny how to suck an egg!

lol icon_biggrin.gif

dalis4joe Posted 1 May 2010 , 11:25am
post #7 of 17

lol i think this is too funny....

I say.... my kids... my 4 yr old specially.... can I have the cing bowl now? can I have my play doh so I can pretend is fondant? can I have something to eat? if not... then it's the phone...
When I am making a cake I like to get in "the zone" and not be bothered.... then sometimes I catch myself before I say anything and it's like.... dalis you need to talk nice to her.... she is only 4... but sometimes I "forget" and just tell her... go and ask you father... or I'll tell her in a condescending (sp?) way.... I have already told you... when mami is finished THEN she will give you the bowl... now u need to wait...

it's tough to balance for sure...

Now... the other day DH had a "TALK" with me about how I pay more attention to cakes that I do to him (which I must admit it's true) but of course I didnt admit it to him... ( bad bad bad) he says I need to set a time when I am done and just stop....
but how can u JUST STOP in the middle of finishing the 47th gumpaste flower? or getting those figures modeled (SP?) when you finally get into a good rythm and they are coming out perfect? u just can't lol

mpetty Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 17

I'm so glad to see this thread!

Instead of the kids, for me it's my mom - and at the age of 87, sometimes she's just like a kid. I can spend about an hour working on a cake and then her patience and attention span are gone, and she'll start asking "aren't you done with that yet?!" and it deteriorates from there (that's a waste of time, nobody cares about all those decorations, etc). It got so bad that I packed my cake stuff away a couple of years ago because it became such a negative experience. However, I love decorating so much that I couldn't stay away. My solution for now is to focus on gp flowers; I can do them in my room when she's napping so there's no mess, no fuss. icon_rolleyes.gif

tmac670 Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:08pm
post #9 of 17

[quote="Caths_Cakes"]For me its my mom, always coming into the kitchen and offering 'advice and help' I apreciate it, but it grinds me down some days when says ' Well, i think it would of looked better had you done this, Or I would of done it this way etc . . .

Raises hand (really high) I am so guilty of this! Especially since I taught my daughters to decorate-- they pick up an icing bag and I go immediately into teacher mode. Now, I just stay out of the kitchen. If they have a question- they will call me. After all- sometimes you learn more from your mistakes than your successes.

I really hate it when I put a tool down and go back to it and it is not there! Where did I put the dang thing- the kitchen is not that big-- oh look- it's on the table behind the cake. Sometimes I feel like a 40 foot counter would not be enough space!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:13pm
post #10 of 17

I thought it was just meeeeeee!!!! I always tell husband I need a 10 foot work-space radius. Just when I finally have him trained.... DAD comes for a visit! He's hovering over me pointing (big fat finger 1/4 inch away from my flawless buttercream) "You made that?". Me: "Yes, now step away!!!" Inside I'm thinking, if you ding my buttercream I will bury you in the yard. 5 minutes later he comes back holding my DROOLING, slobbery fingered, dirty little mess of a toddler (You have no idea how much this kid drools!) right over my cake and starts harassing me about when can we eat it and why does it take so much time to make a cake you're just going to destroy and on and ON and ONNNNNNNNNN!!!! icon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_sad.gificon_cry.gificon_surprised.gif

Oh, and I forgot to mention the lecture I got about the high sugar content of my buttercream recipe. icon_confused.gif But that didn't stop him from feeding my 2 year old fingerful after fingerful of icing. icon_mad.giftapedshut.gif

Sorry for hijacking the thread to rant. icon_rolleyes.gif

jayne1873 Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:16pm
post #11 of 17

Mine is my husband, he will be like oh is that right, should it look like that, whats it supposed to be? ITS NOT FINISHED YET ahhhhh as we know some cakes just come together at the end
And if it is going wrong he is oh dear that doesnt look good, thanks for that I already knew that and am stressing about it without your help!!

mpetty Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:27pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

Inside I'm thinking, if you ding my buttercream I will bury you in the yard.

ROTFLMAO!!! I'm gonna' have to write that one down!

wpowell4 Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:41pm
post #13 of 17

LOL!!!!!! I thought It was just my crazy household..............

I try to get up about 6am when everybody is rushing to get to school and the husband it preparing for work. When they leave there is sometimes nothing on in the house but my computer. That is my peace. But because I have so many projects going on at one time I have to answer the phone or an e mail that pops up, so I wash my hands a lot and go though alot of paper towels.
But if I am not finish by time they get home.............. Thye want to come in the kitchen and cook food(NO WAY). One time my son turned OFF my oven. I am sitting there waiting for the timer to go off and nothing. icon_mad.gif Murder is what came to mind when I relized what he had done. "Who's THAT cake for"?(you don't know them) "How long is it going to take you"?( If you would leave me B, I could finish) " Where's the cake that you cut off"? (In that box little puppies..lol) My husband is the worst...."If you show me I can help you" I have been doing this since September of last year I am learning myself.......But ok I show try to show him how to do pipe a border....... " Are you sure that's Right"? "My hands are getting hot amd it's melting", "You need to put a cold towel in your hands to do this" (RIGHT!!!!!!!!) "You should do it this way are that way" GET OUT!!!!! And when I am finish "Is that the way they wanted it"? WELL,THANKS!!!! Where's My WINE!!!!!

metria Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:55pm
post #14 of 17

you guys are hilarious. luckily i don't have an audience when i decorate. but my DH knows that if i'm making a cake, there's bound to be scraps and left over frosting. when he's done playing video games, he comes right to the kitchen looking for the tops i leveled off. last night i made sure to make him a plate of the scraps before he even asked.

dalis4joe Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:56pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

I thought it was just meeeeeee!!!! I always tell husband I need a 10 foot work-space radius. Just when I finally have him trained.... DAD comes for a visit! He's hovering over me pointing (big fat finger 1/4 inch away from my flawless buttercream) "You made that?". Me: "Yes, now step away!!!" Inside I'm thinking, if you ding my buttercream I will bury you in the yard. 5 minutes later he comes back holding my DROOLING, slobbery fingered, dirty little mess of a toddler (You have no idea how much this kid drools!) right over my cake and starts harassing me about when can we eat it and why does it take so much time to make a cake you're just going to destroy and on and ON and ONNNNNNNNNN!!!! icon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_sad.gificon_cry.gificon_surprised.gif

Oh, and I forgot to mention the lecture I got about the high sugar content of my buttercream recipe. icon_confused.gif But that didn't stop him from feeding my 2 year old fingerful after fingerful of icing. icon_mad.giftapedshut.gif

Sorry for hijacking the thread to rant. icon_rolleyes.gif

hahahahahahahahahaajajaa... too too funny!!!!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 1 May 2010 , 3:28pm
post #16 of 17

1)Trying to train an assistant.... major PITA. This girl drives me crazy. I'm a perfectionist (sp?), and right now she's pretty sloppy. I think I hurt her feelings when I say "no, that's not going to work", but I have to do that, cause otherwise she won't learn.
2)People who want to spend 30 mins or more on the phone ordering a bday cake. Geez folks, I can't spend 45 mins on the phone with everyone! I had one lady who kept me on the phone forever, then she wanted to know where my shop was so she could stop by (I was thinking HE** NO!, you're not stopping by here and haning out or hours) so I told her I didn't have a store front for customers, it's just a shop LOL
3) People who want to order a cake, but have NO idea what they want. And no matter how many suggestions you make, they STILL can't figure out what they want. Makes you wan't to say "when you know what you want, call back... I'm not a mind reader"
4) And right now, I'm at home trying to do a cake for my daughter's bday party at 2.... my oldest had a friend spend the night with her, and I swear this kid is an icing addict! She's bugging the HE** out of me, wanting to eat all the icing!!!!!! I keep telling her, "No, I have to use that for the cake... I'll let you have what's left over when I'm finished"...but she keeps coming back every 10 mins asking if I'm finished!!!!!!!Ugggggggg......pulling hair!

cheatize Posted 1 May 2010 , 4:53pm
post #17 of 17

Hmm, let's see. Annoyances. My most recent one was my son. He brought the new girlfriend home without warning. We'd never met. The house was a huge mess and I'd been decorating all day and thus looked like crap. I was working at the dining room table and they sat down for at least an hour. There I was trying to make small talk, get to know her a little, freaking out about the state of the house (and he gave her a tour! of every room!), and trying to finish a cake.

In my house we say, "help or step" and I wanted to practically scream that last night. What a great first impression that would have been. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%