Newbie Here Question About Buttercreme

Decorating By My2kids Updated 1 May 2010 , 1:05am by mamawrobin

My2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
My2kids Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,
I am new to the cake decorating world and would love some advise. This is my first post but i've been lurking and reading and the knowledge here at CC is amazing. My son's school has asked me to make them a cake for their end of year picnic. We live in HOT HUMID florida and the picnic is the first week of June. I'm concerned that if i use buttercreme made with butter to ice the cake it will melt in the outdoor heat. Is it possible to make an all shortning icing that will stand up to 85 degree temp??
i appreciate any help you all can send my way icon_rolleyes.gif THANKS!!!!!

5 replies
hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 6

I have used one by indydeb on here that is all shortening and tastes good. I am not sure how hot it can stand up too, but I am sure if you message her about it she could tell you.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 6

Another option is ganache, but I've never used it sitting outside in your kind of heat for a picnic before! Maybe a ganache filling with a crumbcoat on the outside of the cake, and cover it with fondant? Some other Southern cake girl might have to help you with this one icon_smile.gif

My2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
My2kids Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 6

Ladies thank you for your suggestions icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:46am
post #5 of 6

I second the suggestion for IndyDebi's buttercream. All shortening, all good!!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:05am
post #6 of 6

Yep. Indydebi's buttercream is the only crusting buttercream that I use. It holds up to 100 degree weather and humidity. I live in Arkansas and we have some hot, humid summers. That stuff holds up great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%