Mmf Is Trying To Kill Me!! Help Me Fix This!!

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 1 May 2010 , 2:06am by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 9

okay, I have a cake I am making its a reeces cup package- orange fondant covering the hole thing.

I made my MMF yesterday, let it sit overnight.

I have been trying for HOURS to make it work. the MMF is now so... oily.. I guess. I kept trying to put crisco on my hands. its breaking, its .... like doing the reptile thing, where parts of it are pulling UP and onto the roller. I cant get it to roll, and when I finally do get it rolled out, it breaks when I'm trying to get get it picked up.

I have tried working on a crisco'd surface, on a powdered sugar surface, I even tried to do it on my wilton crappy mat. (thats the size I need)

Nothing works. It will not quit breaking, I will get it almost rolled out, and then the ends start to break off and come up with the roller (which has so much grease on it that I'm scared to use it, I might chunk it across the room.

I have nuked it, I have kneaded it, I am going NUTS.

I dont have much time, the cake is due on Sunday, But I leave here in an hour (supposed to be gone already, but need a shower) and will be gone till 10. then I will be gone ALL Day and all night tomorrow.

I dont have time to make more fondant. I did have to use alot of paste to get it reeces orange, and its raining outside. I have the AC on in here, but....

Last time I was in our walmart, they didnt have any wilton fondant. and I honeslty couldnt afford to buy enough to cover it. LOL

what can I do?? I have used this quite a few times and NEVER had a problem. it rolled out pretty as a picture, went on with no tears, no breaks, no ... snake skin... I have painted on it, put it on a half circle, a cross, made fiqures out of it..

Help me please....

8 replies
tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 9

You may want to try to add some gumpaste powder to it. It comes in a can at WalMart or Hobby Lobby and you add water to it to make gumpaste.

Sometimes when my fondant is too gross or sticky (usually making red fondant), I will add in some of the powder to stiffen it up.

Hopefully this helps.

chellescountrycakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 9

okay, I did buy some of that. Thanks for the tip icon_smile.gif

It literly will NOT quit breaking. its almost like.. playdoh . I cant even knead it into a ball, it just breaks off. and crumbles. its crumbily..

L_Collins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L_Collins Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 9

It sounds like you need more powdered sugar and maybe a few sprinkles of water. The amount of coloring you had to use may affect the "stretchiness" of the fondant. How thin are you rolling it out? Also, I use a mixture of powdered sugar and corn starch. This works really well for me.I saw Michelle Bommarito from Cake Challenge working fondant once. She rolled a little and flipped it over. Then rolled it our again and flipped it. This kept it very pliable and also kept it from sticking. Hope it works for you!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:30am
post #5 of 9

Just want to say that I've never had any luck with MMF. I've made it several times and I've never had good results. I did mix some 50/50 with modeling chocolate and it was perfect. I make MFF and that stuff is awesome.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:44am
post #6 of 9

Sometimes when you add a lot of food colouring to the fondant it changes the consistancy when it rests. It becomes mealy and breaks easily. If you use it right after colouring it - no rest period it works better.
You can try adding some glycerine to it. I usually add glucose and glycerine to my MMF when I make it. It really helps with stretchiness.

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:48am
post #7 of 9

Yep that is why I don't make mmf anymore way to stressful and messy!!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 1 May 2010 , 1:48am
post #8 of 9

I've never had a problem with it and that's all I use. The only time I had trouble like you are talking about is when I did chocolate. I'll never do that again.

Did you weigh your ingredients, the MMs and the PS?

You may want to try kneading in some PS to stiffen it, if it's too stiff, try kneading in some corn syrup a teaspoon at a time, it will help with the elasticity.

If you kneaded in too much crisco, I suggest kneading in PS.

Kneading in gumpaste powder wouldn't make any sense, it could get hard as a rock. Tylose tastes like....well, smell it, you'll see what I mean.

chellescountrycakes Posted 1 May 2010 , 2:06am
post #9 of 9

Thanks y'all!!!

okay, I have glycerin-
How much would you add?

I have ONE more batch that I can color- what should I do, before I even start to color it orange to insure that it will work?

I still have to see about making another batch to cut the word reeses out of, and the other decorations. I have a little left from the last batches I made 2 months ago and its great. I can color it, work it, use it. no problems. I hope I have enough, maybe if I mix some gumpaste with it, there will be enough to do that with .

Oh and I colored it and started working it to roll out. it just started breaking apart. and doing all the other wierd crap. LOL

I am just down to the wire here, and have to get this done. as it is, my entire schedule has been shot. So, I am going to have to work through the night to do the cake, then be at the banquet hall at 9am and work there till midnight. LOL I am getting way too old for this!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%