Research For Cakes

Decorating By dchockeyguy Updated 2 May 2010 , 4:58am by Eisskween

dchockeyguy Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 7

How much research do you all do on your cakes? Primarily I'm talking about themed cakes. Do you do a bunch of internet research to get what you're doing right, or do you just go off what you're told to do exactly by the client and not worry about if it's accurate or not?

Personally, I believe in doing the reserarch. I want my cakes to be "right," if you know what I mean. With Google and Wikipedia, it's not hard, usually, to find information. But I wondered about others.

Just curious!

6 replies
costumeczar Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 7

google is my best friend!

indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 7

I'm a little lost on what you mean by research and "getting it right". I had a client who wanted a Sonic Hedgehog and I had no idea who or what that was, so I looked up an image on the 'net just to see what he looked like. But that's pretty much my extent of it. What kind of research are you looking up?

Occther Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 7

It all depends on what the client requests and how much I know about the theme. Some cakes don't require any research - others take lots.

sari66 Posted 1 May 2010 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 7

Just depends on what the cake is...google is my friend too icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Posted 2 May 2010 , 4:38am
post #6 of 7

I do, but im beginning to feel its time im not paid for. Some cakes do require some research. Like when i needed to do a King Tut cake. It was almost a history lesson before i could find what i needed. Then there are also the customers that tell you they want a cake but with 3 or 4 themes and you have to come up with an idea for that, then have them approve it, and more then likely give them another option. Again time not paid for, Ive been contemplating adding on a design fee.

Eisskween Posted 2 May 2010 , 4:58am
post #7 of 7

I LOVE my Google! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%