Timeline

Decorating By Jenlee73 Updated 1 May 2010 , 12:12am by Mug-a-Bug

Jenlee73 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 4

I am baking a groom's cake for my sister's wedding next Saturday in Dallas. We will be leaving Thursday. Will it be okay for me to bake and freeze my cake this weekend and decorate on Wednesday? Will the cake still be fresh on Saturday? I am not new to baking but this is the first time i will have to make a cake this far in advance. I usually bake and decorate the day before delivery.

3 replies
DeeDelightful Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 4

Will you have accomodations for decorating once you arrive in Dallas? I don't know how far you are travelling to get there. If you have access to kitchen space, I'd suggest baking and freezing the layers and they can defrost during the drive there. I know they will taste fresh. If you are not sure what accomodations you will have (like a kitchen), I'd suggest baking early (this weekend), freeze, thaw Tuesday night, assemble tiers on Wednesday (ice, dowel or sps, box them up) and do more detailed decorations once you arrive and stack the cake at the venue if possible. I would definitely bake and freeze this weekend. I didn't used to be a believer in freezing, but it has worked out for me here lately.

Jenlee73 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 4

The cake will be just a simple cake in the shape of Texas. As far as decorations there are none. We are traveling 6 hours to get there. It is going to be crazy once we arrive with wedding preperations that i did not want to have to do anything there.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:12am
post #4 of 4

I have a 3 day rule. 4 days is stretching it, but I think it would still be fine. I wouldn't go any longer than that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%