Covering Half Ball In Fondant

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 1 May 2010 , 12:32am by catlharper

Pickulz Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 8

Ive never covered a cake completely in fondant...and ive looked at some tutorials which have helped a lot...
I had a couple questions...

-I dont have piping gel...can i just do a crumb coat..and brush lightly with water to make the fondant stick?

-Im covering a half ball pan in black fondant..(for mickeys head)...anything special to keep in mind?

7 replies
PinkZiab Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 8

I've never used piping gel myself. I coat with buttercream and the fondant sticks fine. If your buttercream has crusted, then yes either a fine mist or lightly brushing with water will do the trick.

As far as the half ball, just start from the top and smooth down, a little at a time--it's a fairly easy shape to cover. Good luck!

claribelcakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 8

Hi Pickulz,

You shouldn't need to use any piping gel, just go a bit thicker on your crumb coat and your fondant will adhere to the buttercream itself. Good Luck! I look forward to seeing your cake.

sweetiesbykim Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 8

Just a crumb coat is fine on a cake, as long as the fondant sticks to it. I use Swiss Meringue BC, which has no powdered sugar, so it never gets a dry crust on it and fondant always sticks to it. You can also frost it with a regular thickness of frosting -personal preference.

Are you doing 2 half-ball pans put together to make a complete round sphere? If you are doing only the 1 half -that's the easiest shape of all to cover with fondant -no edges!!

Pickulz Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 8

Im only doing half a sphere....not the whole ball.
And im hoping to cover that in black fondant and then stick mickey ears on it!
Im not sure what i'll do yet...ive always just covered my cakes in BC..seems safe to me.
Ive only done fondant accents or shapes so far...

Mug-a-Bug Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:21am
post #6 of 8

Just be sure to make sure your buttercream is smooth or your fondant will be bumpy too.

mamawrobin Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:30am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

Just be sure to make sure your buttercream is smooth or your fondant will be bumpy too.

Agree. I did a half ball shape for a basketball topper. It was a very easy shape to cover with fondant.

catlharper Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:32am
post #8 of 8

Trick for you...if you put the half ball onto a cake board then put that up onto a stand (can or anything slightly smaller than the cake board) then when it comes time to place the fondant on the shape it will drape down past the board and be easier to trim! Hope this helps...it sure helps me!LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%