Finding A Name That Reflects Your Style.

Business By BakingGirl Updated 8 May 2010 , 4:57am by Arriva

BakingGirl Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 19

Yes I know, this is another "help me with my business name" post. But I do need help. I am sitting here with a pile of application forms that need to be filled in to get my home business off the ground, and I am stumped on the name. In fact I think the fact that I have been putting it off forever is partly due to the name thing.

So, ideas would be appreciated. Let me tell you what I like and don't like.

I absolutely loathe names like Cupcakery, anything with twee spellings like Shoppe and Olde. (I apologise to anyone out there with names like that, it is just me, I have a phobia!) So anything cutesy is out.

I would like the name to reflect the fact that I am aiming for a more upscale market, I am not going for quantity sales. I know myself well enough that I know I burn out quickly, so I rather do fewer orders but do the types that I enjoy. I do like the name Couture Cakes but I know there a few businesses with that name (although not where I live). I really like the name Bespoke Baker, but bespoke is not really a term much used on this side of the pond.

I have a clear idea of the style of font and images I would like to use on my labels and website. I really like the 1950's style, think the Jetsons, and retro advertising featuring the happy 1950's housewife, cute aprons and all.

So, what do you think? Is there a business name that would capture that? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

18 replies
KASCARLETT Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 19

I don't have a business, I just do hobby baking. BUT I have a name picked out if I ever do get a bakery! lol Craving Confections. How did I come up with that? Well, I like the word confections as it just makes my mouth water, and I just thought of what I want people to do , which is crave those confections! lol But it is also easy to say and remember. And the word confections to me just sounds better than just "bakery" or something like that, not that there's anything wrong with Bakery! lol Thought long and hard on that one.

What type of goods are you wanting to specialize in?

KASCARLETT Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 19

And use that Thesauras! It can help!

BakingGirl Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 19

What I would like to do is sculpted cakes and wedding cakes, so cakes for special celebrations.

I don't even own a Thesaurus, I am going to have to look online for that!

KASCARLETT Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 19

LOL If you have any word processing software - it should have it. Just think of a feeling that you want people to have with your cakes and it will come to you. PROMISE!

You can even do something like Cultured Cakes. Cultured is another word for sophisticated, it sounds more "upscale" without saying upscale or sophisticated. Maybe that will give you an idea on what I am talking about.

chelseak Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 19

Coveted Confections

Couture Confections

Couture Concoctions

Couture Cravings

Tailored Treats

Exquisite ....?

Good Luck!

KASCARLETT Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 19

I really like the name Exquisite (something.... lol)

BakingGirl Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:38am
post #8 of 19

Sorry, I never got a notification that I had replies. Thank you so much for your help, I am going to ponder the options yet again.

indydebi Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:47am
post #9 of 19

also run the words/names thru a translator and see what you come up with in Italian or Spanish or French. A friend of mine did that and came up with a beautiful Italian word for his photography business. Sounds very upscale and elegant, too.

Lyndseyb52 Posted 5 May 2010 , 8:45am
post #10 of 19

How about the Cake Boutique, sounds posh and not too cute! xx

CAKESABC Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:26pm
post #11 of 19

I really like Cake Boutique! It sounds so elegant!

Another thing you may want to do it to say it out loud several times and see how well it rolls off the tongue. You don't want something that is a tongue twister or sounds like it runs together when you answer the phone or anything.

thecookieladycc Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 19

I had a hard time when I picked my name too. After writing 100s of business names a lady called me and asked me if I was the cookie lady (I had made some cookies for my husbands office) and it just stuck. Its something easy for people to remember, I like to answer my phone with it and it just fits who I am. Thus became The Cookie Lady: Cookies, Cakes & Catering.

Dreme Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:04am
post #13 of 19

Whoa just came from a 50's looking cupcake site, odd that you say that: http://www.cupcakesonline.com/cupcakes.php

It took me about a month to come up with my name. I made list, researched other businesses and how they got their name, and ran my ideas through databases. I even had people vote on my final name. I found that most upscale things just have one very strong sounding word as their name. Just your name as the owner can be powerful. Random and odd words work as well. It seems they don't really use or mention what the business actually does. People hear the name and automatically just know.

Just brainstorming.....1950's, retro.....retro backwards: orter. Ok got the odd word. Lets make it sound pretty.....Ortier. Like Cartier. Idk, it sounds older. Just thinking.

Good luck with finding a name you love.

mbark Posted 6 May 2010 , 3:25am
post #14 of 19

how about Kouture Kakes?
haha JK
I also love the word "couture" as it invokes attention to detail, one of a kind, handmade etc etc.
Any other good words in the thesaurus for couture?

janbabe Posted 6 May 2010 , 12:29pm
post #15 of 19

As you liked the 'Exquisite' part why not 'Exquisite Tastes' a cake taylored just for you'.

or Creative Cakes' or 'Creative Confections' or ...

Jan icon_smile.gif

BakingGirl Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:51am
post #16 of 19

I have no idea what is going on with my settings, I keep changing it back so I can get reply notifications but it seems to reset itself so I never get any notifications. Anyway, thank you all for weighing in. Some really great suggestions, I really like Cake Boutique, that totally captures what I am trying to convey. Dreme, the link to the cupcake website is great! That is the sort of look I am thinking of.

tesso Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:02am
post #17 of 19

Eclectic Confections

ecletic means selecting the best from various sources.

carmijok Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:35am
post #18 of 19

It's so funny but I was thinking Cake Boutique as well...mainly because the bakery I worked for used that as their tagline...'a cake boutique'. It's cute. I also did a little retro ad searching and some of these may sound strange, but they do evoke that late 50-s early 60-s feel.

Patio Cakes
Suburban Cake Shop
Modern Cakes
Uptown Cake Shop (or Boutique)

or better yet, why not use your user name? Baking Girl sounds cute without being cutesy. I can see the whole retro thing with that name too.

Arriva Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:57am
post #19 of 19

I like the Cake Boutique and Exquisite Tastes. Those are great names. This subject made me laugh because my husband already had a computer business when we started dating, and I remember telling him that his business should be named "Byte Me Computers".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%