My Success With The Cricut Cake With Pic And Tips!

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 7 Mar 2013 , 1:20am by Goreti

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 10:31pm
post #331 of 456

Don't be afraid, but be prepared. There is a learning curve to it! But once you get the hang of it - it's fabulous!!! icon_lol.gif

feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 9:46pm
post #332 of 456

I just wanted to say thank you guys for all the tips, I have had the cricut cake for awhile now and just barely kinda got the hang of it through all your tips and post....big hugz to all...gotta love CC!! icon_biggrin.gif

redvelvet4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redvelvet4u Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 4:38pm
post #333 of 456

Has anyone checked out the Best Buy ad for labor day?? It looks like the cricut and gypsy together in a bundle for 299??? I can't really tell, but it even looks like the Expression as opposed to the smaller one.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 4:55pm
post #334 of 456

Great pics and ideas as soon as I can I will post our pics of our sucess with the Cricut Cake.

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 11:38pm
post #335 of 456

I just received mine. I rolled out my fondant with tylose in my pasta machine(5)and than wrapped it and put it in a large zip lock bag and let it sit for aprox. 4 hours. just took it out and used it.It was magnificent! It's another tool,I can't wait to try the sure cuts a lot program.

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 11:47pm
post #336 of 456

All this information really helped. Thank-you.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 4:24pm
post #337 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren715

Sweet - With Design Studio you can share cut files (cut is the format of the file, like doc is the format for Word documents). The problem with Design Studio is that unless you have the specific cartridges that make up the cut file, you cannot print. For instance, lets say you get a cut file off the Internet that has grass, a dog and a flower. The grass is from Zoobaloo, the dog is from Doodlecharms and the flower is from Forever Young. Unless you own all 3 of the cartridges, you cannot print. Or if someone makes a beautiful floral border and shares the file, unless you have the cartridges that she made the file with, you are out of luck unless you own/buy the cartridges.

With Make the Cut, you can draw a flower of your choice, get it off the Internet, scan from a drawing/photo or create one on your computer and use it! It's that simple. With MTC, you can also print letters with any font that is installed on your computer. You can take separate elements and fuse them together to form one element. There is also a forum (like CC) to help you out (and then there are people like me on CC who are willing to help you too!). All you need is one cartridge in your for MTC to work. It doesn't matter what cartidge it is, you can use the one your came with. I buy cartridges and use MTC so I get the best of both worlds. The MTC forum also has tutorials on how to make beautiful borders.

Let's say you have a client who wants his logo on the cake. With MTC you can do this. These cutting machines cut with amazing precision. I love my Expression.

Great info, thanks!

Martina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Martina Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 1:44pm
post #338 of 456

Thank you so much!

MacsMom Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:18pm
post #339 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiecake

The lady that demonstrated at Michaels was having trouble w/ the frosting sheets. If they get dry they just jumble up when cut. She said to put a damp paper towel in the plastic behind the frosting sheets to add moisture to them.

I have frosting sheets for my edible image printer - I'm assuming these are what can be used? If so, I'm thrilled! I accidentally clogged my ink cartridges and had to toss them. Not wanting to buy more unless requested to do so, I have been waiting for a good use for my edible image sheets.

MacsMom Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 7:26pm
post #340 of 456

Oh cool! Tortillas! I can use it to make cool shapes for my daughter's 1st grade class parties... cinnamon-sugar tortilla shapes, and probably even pie-crust! icon_rolleyes.gif

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:34pm
post #341 of 456

Hi all, ok i'm not sure if this has been brought up and I have tried to get through all 19 pages lol. BUT here goes so bear with me if it's been said before. I'm in the UK and just got my cricut. i can see it being really handy instead of all those cutters but I have the cake basics cartridge. I put in a sheet (i put in freezer as recommended on here- it was gumpaste). Anyway I programmed in to cut stars out and hearts and it cuts round them twice - is this normal? so i have star in centre and another star round the outside. I don't have the cut more than once button on but it still does it which sometimes seems to make the star in the centre squash. Any advice be appreciated. thank you all

MacsMom Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 8:56pm
post #342 of 456

Mine does that too. I was so frustrated because the first time around it would be okay, but then on it's second cut it would mangle my piece.

I gave up on it - I don't think I'm getting my fondant/GP rolled thin enough. I'm too mad to try it again anytime soon!

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 9:29pm
post #343 of 456

I think I know what your problem is. To cut solid stars and hearts, you need to press the Base Shadow Blackout key, or Plain Shadow Blackout key. To cut the outline (it will go around twice) you press the Plain Base Key. Also, in order to cut out the star outline you need to also press the shift key. You would cut both if you wanted to layer. You would cut the solid heart or star in one color, and then cut the outline star or heart in another color. I did that with a flower font on a cake I made for my Mother's birthday. I'll try to attach a pic, otherwise its in my pics. HTH.
Kathy

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 9:38pm
post #344 of 456

I couldn't get the photo to attach. If you look in my pics, its the blue/green and brown fondant cake. Also, have you tried the gumpast recipe from Cutting Edge? It really is good. Also, if you roll out your fondant or gumpaste directly onto the mat that helps. If I am going to use fondant, I always add either tylose or make a 50/50 with gumpaste. I only had to put the mat with the fondant rolled out onto it a few times into the freezer. Also, if you do put it in the freezer, you have to cut immediately, otherwise the fondant or gumpaste gets mushy. I hope this helps.
Kathy

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 9:58pm
post #345 of 456

Use a clay sheet roller on about setting #3 with your fondant or gumpaste then lay your rolled sheet on the mat and then use a pastry roller or fondant smoother to make sure it is stuck on the matt nicely and it will cut better. I've used Wilton and Fondarific fondant like that and let dry for about 15 minutes and it cut fine.

MacsMom Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 11:44pm
post #346 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Use a clay sheet roller on about setting #3 with your fondant or gumpaste then lay your rolled sheet on the mat and then use a pastry roller or fondant smoother to make sure it is stuck on the matt nicely and it will cut better. I've used Wilton and Fondarific fondant like that and let dry for about 15 minutes and it cut fine.

icon_cry.gif My rolling pin is warped jsut enough to prevent me from rolling my fondant thin enough - I will buy a new one and try it again. I used 50 MMF/50 Wilton's premade gumpaste and let it dry for 20 mins, but the cut was jagged and the letters dragged.

I ended up hand painting the verse on the cake...

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:08am
post #347 of 456

If the edges are jagged it isn't dry enough and maybe not thin enough.

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:20am
post #348 of 456

My son just bought me my Cake cricut today, Iam so excited !! I will be ready all of your tips thanks!!!

Karen421 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:36am
post #349 of 456

Have fun!!! icon_biggrin.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 10:13am
post #350 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

I think I know what your problem is. To cut solid stars and hearts, you need to press the Base Shadow Blackout key, or Plain Shadow Blackout key. To cut the outline (it will go around twice) you press the Plain Base Key. Also, in order to cut out the star outline you need to also press the shift key. You would cut both if you wanted to layer. You would cut the solid heart or star in one color, and then cut the outline star or heart in another color. I did that with a flower font on a cake I made for my Mother's birthday. I'll try to attach a pic, otherwise its in my pics. HTH.
Kathy

Ah I see so if I just want the star and it not to go round twice i press the base shadow blackout key and it will only go round once? I was trying to cut a sheet for a starburst and it kept doing it twice and mushing up the middle one. Thank you for your advice i will give it another go. This is going to be a long learning curve I think on this machine. I will keep trying to read all the pages on here as I go along thumbs_up.gif

Karen421 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 11:58am
post #351 of 456

There is a definite learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you will LOVE it! I can't do the freezer method - it gets really mush. I just roll it out on the mat (thin) and let it dry a little while. I also have several mats, at different stages - so I am not stuck - waiting for something to dry. Good Luck and have fun with it!

allaboutcakeuk Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:06pm
post #352 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

There is a definite learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you will LOVE it! I can't do the freezer method - it gets really mush. I just roll it out on the mat (thin) and let it dry a little while. I also have several mats, at different stages - so I am not stuck - waiting for something to dry. Good Luck and have fun with it!

Thanks Karen421 I'm going to have a go today and see how it goes, am just looking at what I can do with the basics cartridge at the moment. Do you use fondant as well as gumpaste with it - how do you find that? Does that also have to be really thin? Thank you icon_smile.gif

Karen421 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:11pm
post #353 of 456

I use either fondant with tylose or 50/50, so if I need the cut outs to match the cake they will. I have had good luck with straight gumpaste also, but I mostly just use fondant. icon_lol.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:35pm
post #354 of 456
Quote:

I use either fondant with tylose or 50/50, so if I need the cut outs to match the cake they will. I have had good luck with straight gumpaste also, but I mostly just use fondant. icon_lol.gif

Perfect thank you Karen for your helpful advice. With the cartridge it didn't seem there was much you could do but there are tons of other characters if you press all the right buttons! have rolled some 50/50 out and going to let it set a while and see what happens

thumbs_up.gif

Karen421 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:43pm
post #355 of 456

I get a lot of cartridges from e-bay that are brand new, but I don't know about the shipping to the UK. You might want to check out MTC or SCAL. I don't have either ~yet~ but this would really be a plus!

allaboutcakeuk Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:05pm
post #356 of 456
Quote:

I get a lot of cartridges from e-bay that are brand new, but I don't know about the shipping to the UK. You might want to check out MTC or SCAL. I don't have either ~yet~ but this would really be a plus!

yeah I have to say I downloads the MTC tutorial and had a play and it seems really good that you can upload your own stuff to it which is really handy when you have something that doesn't come on a cartridge. I wanted to cut out an "&" for some lettering - it was brilliant. I just keep thinking of all the cutters I've bought that have cost a fortune and I'd have had to cut that with scalpel by hand or by another cutter - more cutters and equipment! Liking so far.. wondering how it goes with more intricate designs and straightforward fondant. Although can't see me really using just plain fondant for decorations icon_biggrin.gif

Twomorecats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twomorecats Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:31pm
post #357 of 456

Hi guys, been reading all of this and now very excited about this machine, however I'm being a little dumb here, if I got this and the make the cut programm, how ans what to I need to transfer the image from the pc to the cutter?

allaboutcakeuk Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:46pm
post #358 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomorecats

Hi guys, been reading all of this and now very excited about this machine, however I'm being a little dumb here, if I got this and the make the cut programm, how ans what to I need to transfer the image from the pc to the cutter?

Hi Twomorecats - yes it's exciting isn't it as I've just started playing with it this morning too. Now this is one answer I know - you need a cable - i've used the one I use for my printer that goes from the usb port in your pc or laptop to the back of the cricut. You can see at back of cricut next to the power inlet another point. It plugs into there. When you turn on MTC and press cut within the program it sends it to the cricut to cut HTH icon_smile.gif

MKinPA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKinPA Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:20pm
post #359 of 456

Can those of you that own the Make The Cut tell me the best place to purchse this. The more I read about it, I believe I really have to have it! Today!
Thanks!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:31pm
post #360 of 456

Just do a google search and look for the best price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%