Help With Tipping Etiquette

Business By lexi55033 Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 9:41pm by JulieMN

lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 14

This is a first for me... here is what happened... I opened my mail yesterday to discover a check for $100 (the memo line on the check just read "Thank You!" with a post it attached that read:

Angie-
Thank you so much for the wonderful cupcakes for our wedding! They were very good! I will definitely be contacting you in the future for other occasions.
Thanks again,
Bride & Groom

This was from a cupcake wedding that I did on April 10, 2010.

I'm assuming that this is a tip. However, I've never received a tip before on any cakes, wedding or otherwise... am I assuming right? How should I respond to it? I would like to thank them for it, but I don't know what the proper etiquette in this situation would be. Please help!!!

Thanks, Angie

13 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 14

Wow, that's terrific. Send her a thank you card and buy yourself something nice icon_smile.gif

nicolesplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesplace Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 14

If you don't already do so, maybe you could make them their wedding cupcakes for their 1st anniversary. I know that alot of you already include 1st anniversary cakes in your contracts but, it would be a nice gesture.

Congrats!

lexi55033 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 14

I do already include a free 6" or dozen cupcakes free for their 1st anniversary, with the purchase of wedding cakes or cupcakes over a certain dollar amount, so that's already covered, but it was a good idea!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 14

was there ever a time during the purchasing process where there was another $100 check written out to you by them, that could have been lost in the mail or something?

Just making sure, I read a thread on here once where a lady delivered a cake that was $85 and the DH answered the door and handed her a hundred dollar bill........she said.......OH....thank you so much, and he told her his wife was going to LOVE the cake (it was for their DD).....anyhow......wife loved the cake, but called cake lady telling her how RUDE it was for her to just KEEP THE CHANGE !

It wasn't meant to be a tip, the DH didn't know and didn't ask for change!!

Just make sure before you pocket it.

I would probably call the customer and say "I got a check in the mail from you today in the amount of $100.00 .....however your balance was paid in full"

(this leaves an opportunity for them to say, it's a tip because we just loved everything soooooooooo much)

then you tell them how much you appreciate it and that it was a pleasure working with them

aND be sure and send a nice greeting card to the writer of the check thanking them for their generosity and kindness!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 14

it would be appropriate to send a nice thank you card "for the wonderful compliment" and perhaps let her know how you will use the money (a well-deserved massage, a new cake toy, a night out with just hubby and you, etc.) thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 14

Write a thank you note and make them some cupcakes or cake for their anniversary!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 14

I delivered a cake last summer where the two people getting married were walking all around me, doing this and that. When I went to leave I needed "someone" to OK the cake. One of them, rather annoyed, reached into their pocket and handed me a $20.00 bill...I politely refused, it just felt innappropriate and I felt like a bellboy with my hand out, which was NOT the case at all...again, just needed someone to sign off on the cake.

Well, they were totally put out/off by that, and I never heard back from them again...my feelings on this? Their problem. icon_smile.gif The cake rocked, and I don't need money that badly to accept attitude like that. Under different circumstances, I would (and have) accepted tips graciously.
If this IS a $100.00 tip... Good for you!! thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 14

That's a huge tip! I'd probably just double check for you...something like...."You were already paid up..." and if she says "Oh no that was a tip" then do as mentioned above!!!

I occasionally get $5 or $10 tips (just got a $10 one just now!) but nothing bigger, and not as a usual thing.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 14

Kitagrl~ the cake in your avatar is IMPRESSIVE! icon_eek.gif

Kitagrl Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwood

Kitagrl~ the cake in your avatar is IMPRESSIVE! icon_eek.gif

Aw thanks so much!

lexi55033 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 14

Okay, I took your advice and emailed the bride to make sure I wasn't missing anything, since it was such a large amount. Here was her response:

Hi Angie,

Yes, we were aware that our bill was paid in full icon_smile.gif We just wanted to show our appreciation for everything that you did to make our day perfect.

Thanks again!

Jessica

I'm doing the happy dance right now!! icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 14

AWESOME!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:41pm
post #14 of 14

Congratulations!

Quote by @%username% on %date%