Helo! How Do I Construct A Large Ladybug Cake?!? Please Help

Decorating By vabscakemagik Updated 1 May 2010 , 12:19am by Mug-a-Bug

vabscakemagik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vabscakemagik Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 7

I need a ladybug cake for this weekend that will serve 25 people. I am not sute what pan to bake it in or how to carve it so it looks really good. I don't have really great carving skills so any tips you guys could give me would be awesome. Btw, this is my very 1st posting in the forums.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

6 replies
jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 7

Do you have any bowls about the same diameter as your round cake pans? Just a thought, but you could bake some cake in a med/large glass/ceramic bowl and put it on top of a round 2 layer cake. You could ice the cake in green for grass and the ice the bowl-shaped cake on top to look like a lady bug. I am not sure if I am describing it well enough, but I hope this help. No carving involved, and would have enough servings.

Tara2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tara2010 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 7

Wilton makes a ladybug character cake pan, it says it only serves 12, but you can add it on top of a 1/2 sheet cake, which should cover the 25 servings. You could ice the sheet cake green for grass, and the lady bug as you like... This is what I'm doing for my daughter's birthday cake... Hope that helps, good luck!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 7

I made one with a 10" round (serves 35) however...the lady didn't want to pay a carved cake price so I just shaved the sharp edges off and called it a day!

since she was only paying $35.00 for it anyhow!
LL

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 7

I made a round bottom tier and then built the second tier in abig bowl - cover teh bowl with cake, add filling, more sponge and repeat if needed. Make sure you cover the bowl in plastic wrap first. This will give you a good shape. The head I mad eout of RKT. You can see the pic in my gallery

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 7

Like your idea KHalstead, it looks cute.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:19am
post #7 of 7

Wilton makes a 1/2 ball pan. I've seen it used many times here on CC for a ladybug.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%